Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

vintage in hardcore music?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gord, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    hey guys,
    This is kind of an odd question, but I haven't been to a good show in a while so I haven't been able to really check it out. In hardcore bands, or just heavy bands, how does a vintage jazz or precision stand up? I saw a band two or three days ago and it got me wondering. They were boarderline hard, but for the most part stayed fairly tame. Their bassist was playing a 1980 Jazz bass, and it sounded great, but I wasn't able to hear what it sounds like when the guitars get super distorted and the drums go nuts. Anyone?

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    A precision will cut through the mix like crazy.

A jazz most likely will get lost when things get super crazy.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    The concept of *bringing* a vintage bass to a hardcore show makes me shudder. I don't want to imagine what could happen to a nice bass like that in all that thrashing and stuff.

That said, it might sound pretty dang cool! If you're willing to risk it, go for it.

4. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Most of the guys I know, myself included, would rather get a bass we can mod. New pickups, strap locks, etc. That's a no no for vintage stuff.

Not to mention the fact that I've actually had people thrown at me while I was on stage.

5. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I definatly wouldnt bring an expensive vintage instrument to a hardcore show. You could definatly use one for recording but as far as using one live, I'd get something that you wouldnt mind having ripped apart.

6. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    I'd say vintage is a no-no because i would say that some kind of straplocks (i use a cliplok) and like two inch screws are a necessity for hardcore if you play insane shows and i dont think that would go over well with a vintage bass. A jazz doesnt get lost in hardcore music, the guy from fear before the march of flames uses one and he has a great distorted tone that sits well and cuts through. P basses are good too but their seem to be a lot more hardcore bands with stingrays and newer more modern basses sometimes five strings and whatnot.

7. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    yeah a jazz wont get lost in hardcore kind of music, im no expert but the guy from dillenger escape plan uses a fender jazz and he cuts through like crazy.

8. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    '

Yep...if you know anything about eq'ing a jazz won't get lost in any situation.

9. Secondhandloser

Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    I've used a Vintage J- well a sorta vintage, '83 ( I consider anything older than me to be vintage) when I was subbing for a thrash bassist, and it held up great, I loved the tone I got from it, and thrash is pretty demanding... so I'd say it works...

10. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    For music like that, it's just a waste of a good sounding bass. They could be playing an MIM Fender and no one would notice the difference once the whole band gets playing.

11. BassManPatsFan

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    not necessarily...
    i guess you're right to some extent, but I'm in a hardcore band and yes I do care about my tone.
    Just because the music is fast and loud doesn't mean we don't care...if that's what you meant.

12. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    i'd have to second that, i've played in plenty of punk and hc type bands, and the louder and faster it gets, sometimes how a tone cuts through and how good it sounds matters the most.

that said, an upgrade MIM jazz never failed me. drop some nice PuPs in and you're good to go. mind you, you'll have to take some time picking out a bass that isn't utter ****e.

13. BassManPatsFan

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    ok good to know I'm not the only one...

I think I'm actually more of a tone freak when playing hardcore and punk stuff then I am with say jazz or funk or whatnnot.

why you ask?
    well for hardcore I like a really gritty tone that cuts through with lots of mids and lots of gain. Finding a tone like this that i deem "satisfying" isn't exactly an easy task, whereas I don't really have much of a problem dialing in a big round fat tone on most basses.

That being said, I wouldn't mind playing on an mim fender or even my squier, but it just might take me a little longer to get my tone right.

-Alex

14. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    hey guys,
    great comments so far, thanks! I guess I should've been more specific, I was wondering about the vintage sound, not an actual vintage bass. I've seen those shows, and no way would I bring something like that to one. I meant a bass with vintage pickups, I'm looking at antiquity IIs or Fender 62s. A P/J bass with vintage pickups, in hardcore music. Would it sound at all agressive enough to match the rest of the band? I want my bass sounding, uh, angry? haha

15. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I play a Fender Aerodyne Jazz and I cut through just fine. I pump up the P-pup and roll back the J a bit and just rock. Very thick tone.

I'm addicted to vintage tone so that's what I strive for at all times and both my bands love it. One is a hardcore band and the other is a hard rock/southern rock band.

The drummer in my hardcore band actually agreed that my vintage tone is better than most modern bass tones because you can hear it and FEEL it. Too many hardcore bands bass just sounds sterile to my ears. I play clean only and just let natural distortion happen and I get a nice chunky tone out of my Sunn amps...all 3 of them. That might be one reason why my tone is well liked because it doesn't sound like everyones Ampeg SVT-CL+8x10.

Definately try out the vintage tone in a hardcore band and I was also thinking about getting Fender 62's for my Aerodyne but I'm not sure if Quarter Pounders would suit me better.

My recordings don't show my current tone because I just recently stumbled on it when I got my Sunn 1200S.

16. Gord

Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    I'm going to check out your recordings right now, were they still recorded with the aerodyne? I'm curious, because I also have an aerodyne. Is that what you described as vintage? Because I did notice it's a little vintage but I want more, so I'm looking at antiquities but I'm wondering if quarter pounders would work better for what I have. I have a quarter pounder in a precision back home so I'm looking for something different. ANyways, I'll check out the songs right now!

17. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i play in a hc band(myspace.com/insearchofnj) and i use a new mia p-bass. i have used vintage ones in the past, that friends let me borrow to try out. they sound great. lots of hc bands use jass and p-bass'. for me, i wouldnt use a vintage one, just for the simple fact that it would be harder to replace a vintage one, then a new one if anything happend to it.

18. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    The hardcore sound is not a vintage sound, if anything it's the opposite, but my experience has been that the hardcore sound is more about amp eq (although active bass eq helps too) and effects/eq pedals more than anything else. Also, just to confuse things even more, the term "hardcore" can take different meanings and be about different era's, so it would be important as to which "hardcore" you're after to achieve your tone. The more recent versions of hardcore to me are more "metalcore" oir "grindcore" as they now call it, and too me, that's a different set-up than the mid-late 90's hardcore.

19. xbradx

xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    i used to use a '77 Stingray for all the [ache:emelie] stuff, but fear of damage and theft made me sell it last january since i couldn't afford to replace it and hadn't heard of SX at the time(god, i wish i had :bawl: ).

20. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Yea like I said that tone isn't as vintage/thick as my current tone with a new amp. It's a lot thicker. Plus the recording was very trebly and it kinda killed my tone a bit as well.

I recorded it with my aerodyne with stock pups, Blue Steels, Hartke 5000 and an Avatar 410 for every song but 'Crow' that was a 1x15. I had the volume pots full for those which really kills the tone.

I'm now running flats with a Sunn 1200S and the same 15 cab as the 410 burned in a car fire. Picking up a 2x15 soon.

I think a vintage tone works in hardcore. I don't really like all the clank I hear in most hardcore. In some songs it works well to cut through but it's too trebly. I like the rumble with focused mids with a tad of high end. I aim sort of towards the Geezer tone and just play with settings from there.

In Search Of...: Good stuff I liked Gold a lot but Cocaine Segway is too punk for me.