1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage J Bass Pickup Cover

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ampig, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Ampig

Ampig Supporting Member

I just purchased a '72 Jazz bass. It's all origianl except the chrome pickup cover is missing. I've found a vintage 70's replacemnet cover for $70.00. My question is, how much does the absence/presence of the original cover detract/add to the value of the bass? I know there's no cut and dry answer. I'm just looking for some opinions from people who are hopefully a little more savvy on these matters than myself.

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    Most likely, it is fairly close to the price you can buy the used, vintage part for. In your case, $70 or so. It's seems almost certain that if the ashtray made the bass worth another $500, no one would be selling them for $70.

Probably 90 percent of the basses bought during those days lost the ashtrays within the first few weeks. Almost everyone took them off. So, it doesn't really help the value a great deal.

3. I would think it likely wouldn't be worth it to buy an actual vintage cover, as Chasarms said, it wouldn't add to the value of the bass, considering what you would pay for it. If your only concern is the aesthetics, I would just get a new cover for about 15-20 bucks and call it day. If the resale value of the bass is your only concern, I wouldn't bother at all.

4. Ampig

Ampig Supporting Member

Thanks for the feedback guys

5. Ampig

Ampig Supporting Member

6. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    I would get the correct vintage cover, but the cost may not add in direct proportion to the resale value.

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I'm a big fan of covers, but it seems like that's not the case with many people. I think I'd leave it off unless you want to play it that way yourself.

8. Ampig

Ampig Supporting Member

Word

9. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    Would a similar "rule" be the norm for other parts, ie: tuners, bridge?

10. No.

As far as parts value, perhaps, but there's another factor. No one considers an instrument "unmolested" if it has had the tuners and bridge replaced, but no one (or, at least, hardly anyone) considers an instrument messed up because the ashtray has been removed.