1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vintage Jazz Bass body : Number of pieces of wood

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by damos, Jan 11, 2012.

1. damos

damos

Feb 6, 2006
    Hello
    I've got a vintage jazz bass 68 and the body is in alder with 3 pieces of wood .
    Is it correct for fender of this era ?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yes. Although that finish isn't correct. ;)

3. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Yes, 3 or 4 pieces.

ps.
    my '69, '71 and '72 j's have 4 pieces of alder. my '78 j has a 3 piece ash body, like my 77 p bass.

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    3 seems normal to me.

5. I dont think there is a "correct" number of pieces!

My 66 is 2 pieces, i have seen some 3 and 4 pieces!

The worst i saw was a 72 fender jazz owned by one of my teachers, it was a great sounding bass, very light but was made of 7 pieces of wood!
    It really looked like it was made of scrap wood the thinner slices where an inch thick and the biggest one not much more than 3 inches!

it was painted sunburst which was a strange choice! I was surprised that it sounded so good since most people assimilate a body made of many pieces with bad sound and low quality instruments!

6. damos

damos

Feb 6, 2006
    Hello

Thanks
    My 68 is 2 pieces and a small piece under the jazz plate...
    The finish is from a friend of mine, because the bass was refined in the eighties in sunburst with a lot of bad poly finish. We removed it and replaced with natural thin oil finish. Since the bass is more woody sounding and less heavy