1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vintage jazz bass or custom shop pbass (money vs owning one bass)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by black.rose1402, Dec 12, 2016.

1. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    Hi bass brothers,
    I'm just torn between a choice,

I tried a wonderful 66 sunburst jazz bass, the bass plays so good , has some mojo (fender woud call it heavy relic I guess) but perfect playability and sound.

this would take a lot of my budget for gear, but of course, it' s a vintage bass, and the tone and the "magic" is there.

On the other hand, I could get a sean Hurley Pbass CS sunburst, at a discount price, and that would let me keep a lot of my budget for gear...
    the SH pbass sounds great, with flats, and really I love those CS shop p basses (used to own a pino, biggest mistake I made selling it...).

The Pbass sound with those flats is so powerfull, and I must admit that when I play a Pbass, I focus more on the groove and playing the bass, the jazz bass on the other hand, with its ease of play and skinny neck , leads me to play some fills , have a greater responsabilty in the bass duties because I got to think about not doing that because often it doesn't serve the music.

I never do that with pbass, especially with flats... I guess that loads of players adapt their style to the instruments they are playing...
    but my point here is would you go with the 66 jazz or the CS pbass (knowing that with the pbass, I would still have cash to get a nice custom shop jazz or just keeping the money in case something comes along)

I'm really torn, thanks for your help!

2. iTzPrime

iTzPrime

May 30, 2016
    Toss a coin. Before it will land, you will hope it will land on a certain side. There is your answer

3. What iTzPrime said!

Or: Begin with the question: "Do I want a P (and play fundamentally) or do I want a J (and play more frivolous)? If that's decided, see what the possibilities are. And why not a 1966 P-bass (from my experiences there is something with 1966 & early 1967 P-basses. They all have a sense of "urgency" in their sound: fairly aggressive and up-front compared to older P-basses)?

4. LowerEnds

LowerEnds

May 1, 2014
    I understand what you mean. I have two P's and a jazz. I love the jazz in terms of playability, sound and looks. But in the bands I play in, the P's seem to be just right in the mix, where the jazz kind of gets lost, even when I boost the mids. So although I love the jazz, I keep on going back to the P every time. I would like to find a trick (EQ,...) to get my jazz into the P-ballpark. Not to get the exact same tone, but to get in the same frequency spectrum. Any tips? Someone?

When you are planning to spend this kind of money (66 jazz, CS Precision), I would take the time to really look for a bass that is just right. Maybe a PJ-configuration works best for you. Or a P with a slimmer neck. Or something with two humbuckers (like a MM Sabre). Don't decide to soon because of an opportunity. There is always another bass.

TheBear and black.rose1402 like this.
  5. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    I tried both basses, and both felt right to me, the difference being the sound.
    I must admit that when I record, the pbass needs almost no tweaking (it was the case with the pino I used to own and I guess it will be the same with the SH).
    I know for example ,getting older that I tend to stand away the bridge pu of the jazz bass because it's obviously the "Jaco" tone... and that most music never use that tone... You are right LowerEnds about there is always another bass!

6. iTzPrime

iTzPrime

May 30, 2016
    Do the Coin Toss! Sounds stupid but it works!

7. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    You don't know me... I would not listen to the coin toss... I can always try lol

8. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    It's a nice problem you got there :thumbsup:

I know just how you feel regarding the mindset a P with flats puts you in. I prefer my P over my J for that very reason (groove & ensemble playing). That sort of approach can also be accomplished with the J. I put flats on mine, keep my hand over the front pickup and keep both pickups up full.

As to your question, do you consider this bass purchase an investment with an eye on resale value? If so, get the vintage J. To be honest I'm not sure I would take a 60s J to my gigs fearing what could happen to it. If these basses are primarily tools to do a job I would go with the SH P and add a J to the arsenal.

9. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    Buying a vintage bass is always kind of an investment, I 've changed basses for too long to be really attached to one, I hope that I find one that I 'll stick to!
    I thought about taking out the oldie to gigs, but it's an instruments, I did the same with foderas I used to own... but yeah , on first hand, the bass has to be a tool to get the job done for me first.
    I know that the Pbass is a never miss ( unless you are playing marcus miller type of stuff..)
    but I know that the reality of music is that most of music recorded and played has a sound that a pbass can provide, and without needing too much tweaking.

I would love to get the 66 for some obvious reasons but, from an objective point of view, you seem right about getting the P and add a J later

10. Midak

Midak

Sep 4, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    If I were in your situation, I would custom-order a CS Precision and a CS Jazz. A pair - my pair. I do understand the whole "magic going on" thing a vintage bass has, but I would prefer something that starts with me - my own basses that I would add my own magic to them. :)

Mentioning a '66 Jazz, you could order a CS '66 Jazz alongside a CS '66 Precision. :thumbsup:

11. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Don't play what you are "supposed" to play. Play what is right. For 20+ years, I owned and gigged one bass - a jazz, and it worked for me. Everyone is different, and plenty of players known for being a solid player favored a jazz.

odarellmc and black.rose1402 like this.
  12. Chico Ruger

Chico Ruger Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Florida
    The correct answer is...get the P.

ScarfFace, RichSnyder, IanA and 3 others like this.
  13. LowerEnds

LowerEnds

May 1, 2014
    Ik have the feeling that you know you should go for a P, but the opportunity to get a 'real vintage' is tempting. And a vintage jazz remains a great bass off course.
    You said it yourself: the tone of the P is right. And when you are playing in a band, do you really have much room to play faster fills you like to do on a jazz?
    Keep in mind: als fantastic instrument doesn''t make you happy if it doesn''t work for you. So buy the CS P and start saving some money for a cheaper jazz (like a squier CV) to be a bedroom Jaco. Or look for a vintage P.

14. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    I love vintage basses. From the history , to the mojo...story behind the instrument. ..perhaps my own memories, etc.

I owned a 66 Jazz, was in an attic for 30 years. Perhaps once in a lifetime opportunity. But alas, I sold it. No regrets , really.

The CS is flat out a better instrument. Things don't devolve, they EVOLVE. So if one CS is better, than what are two CSs for the same money, going to do for you?

Lots I say , lots !

And of course, in your price range, you can look at the boutique offerings , which are a few more rungs up the ladder from CS.

Have fun!

kesslari and SpazzTheBassist like this.
  15. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Wow!...that really does happen! :thumbsup:

seang15 likes this.
  16. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

10cc likes this.
  17. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird Supporting Member

That's a tough choice for sure, for what it's worth, i personally would get the CS P, fine instruments indeed.
    But that's just my opinion.

18. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Wow, tough choice. I slightly lean towards the cs p. ...slightly.

Ace Of Bass likes this.
  19. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    yeah, it's a matter of passion vs reason... But reading you guys and thinking of it I tend now to lean more o the pbass and maybe getting a cs jazz later...

el_Bajo_Verde and Midak like this.
  20. ptensioned

ptensioned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    I'm curious how much the J is being overpriced? A '66 shouldn't be more than double the price of a new CS. My '63, albeit a refin but otherwise all original, only cost about 25% more than asking for a new CS at my local shop. An all-original '66 shouldn't be far off that, especially if it's not mint.

Side Rant: As for the P vs J tone, most who say that a J 'disappears in the mix' have never played with the volumes anything but off or dimed. The list of players who have been perfectly fine in a mix with a J is enormous, including many all-time greats, so maybe something else is the problem...

Yogi Bear, Ghastly, wmmj and 3 others like this.