1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vintage Jazz Bass pickups question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jrmintz, Jan 14, 2012.

1. jrmintz

jrmintz

Oct 11, 2008
    Does anyone know if there were any physical differences in Jazz bass pickups between, say, 1960 and 1965 or 1966? I'm not talking about tone, I mean design, manufacturing, or parts changes.

2. I believe towards 1966 the bobbin color changed from black to gray. But I think the material was the pretty much the same stuff. They may have also started using a different type of 42 AWG wire. (The insulation is what I mean. That color seemed to also change from a darker brown, to a more clear)
    Fender may have also experimented with different potting techniques as well (lacquer, wax, epoxy). You may want to look into that.

This is all just a rough estimate. Please correct me if I'm wrong. There are people with much more knowledge than me on here (JohnK 10 comes to mind...) This is simply what I have gathered from looking at tons of pics on ebay and stuff.

3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    a set of 60's are probably going to have more wire on them than a set of 65's or 66's.