1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage Jazz Bass setup 4 lefty! help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nadafarms, Mar 15, 2008.

1. nadafarms

nadafarms

Mar 15, 2008
    Recently was lucky enough to put my mind to it (hours of scouring the internet) I scored a vintage 72 fender jazz bass for cheap!

it was setup for a left handed player (I'm right handed) and the pick guard is missing. The neck is straight which is cool, I'm thinking I obviously need to take it to a tech because the nut is glued in (as is it should be?) and I need to have it switched around so i can actually play it as a right hander and have it intonated?

I was wondering what ya'll would think about putting a pickguard back on it? Should I try to get a vintage pick guard for the coolness sake of it or would that be dumb and expensive? Should I get a new pick guard or just say screw it.

I'm a noob. thank you!!!!

2. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Well done on getting a fine bass!

I would try hard to get a period pickguard to fit the rest of the bass, but if one isn't available, an aged new one will do the job. I would take it to a guitar tech, explain that it is a 70's bass and ask them to make it 'as a 70's bass should be'.

Its all a matter of taste really. Personally I would go as far as having a bone nut fitted for that true vintage tone! Also, get vintage wiring in the cavity if it has been modified since day 1.