1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Vintage Jazz Bass Wiring Harness - NEW

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by HEADbass, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Price:
    Brand new Jazz Bass wiring harness #JB17003

It's made of CTS 250K audio taper potentiometers, Russian military K40Y-9 capacitor .047uF/200V, Switchcraft jack and Gavitt vintage wires. For easier installation I already soldered output wires to pickups and bridge-ground. Instructions and heat shrink tubing included.

Price includes US shipping
    PayPal

IMG_1400.JPG IMG_1401.JPG IMG_1402.JPG

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  2. hook_off

hook_off

Mar 18, 2013
    Siberia
    Hi there!

Can I learn the difference between Orange Drop and K40Y-9 capacitor?

Thank You!

HEADbass likes this.
  3. The main difference is in construction since I use the same value .047 uF capacitors.

Regarding the sound it's matter of opinion, matter of feel and the story you believe. For a better result search opinions on this forum.

I prefer Paper In Oil (PIO) capacitors. These K40Y-9 are high quality Russian PIO capacitors made for military. The conductor is made of aluminum foil and the dielectric is oil saturated paper, glass sealed in a metal body. These capacitors provide excellent sonic characteristics, high tolerance is kept within a wide temperature range.
    They provide neutral, smooth mids and highs, with an extended but flat high frequency response, and no loss whatsoever in the bass frequencies.
    It is reported that the magic of vintage pure PIO tone caps develops slowly over the long years, the paper and oil react and settle, changing over the decades
    , like wines that mellow with age, these capacitors have this recommendation, and these k40Y-9 happen to "tick all the boxes", for a component that can sit and "settle" and age and mellow over the decades into something unique.

Sprague Orange Drop is high performance Polypropylene Capacitor. It's manufactured with polypropylene film and extended foil. Polypropylene has a very low dissipation factor, low dielectric absorption and exhibits excellent capacitance stability. This 716P series is designed with copper leads, thus adding to it's performance in high frequency, high pulse current applications. It's perfectly stable and I take it as a standard for tone capacitors.

Lord Andrew, waynobass and hook_off like this.