1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage JBL’s and Doom

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bluehevy75, Feb 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. bluehevy75

bluehevy75

Dec 1, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Team,

I am thinking about joining a doom band.
    1. I will probably tune down to “A.”
    2. Amps: I have a fender studio bass (200 watts tube) and an ampeg v4 (100 watts tube) I will use.
    3. I have 3 of those diagonal fender 2x15’s from the 70’s for cabs.
    4. The cabs are loaded with vintage jbl d140’s and e140’s.
    Given my rig, am I in danger of blowing these speakers? Should I be using my fdeck hpf?

Thanks!

Monterey Bay-ss likes this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Rats I was hoping it was about the game. :woot:

MateoG78, Ellery, Sub Four and 3 others like this.
  3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Yes. Use the HPF set to about 45-50Hz.

The D-140's are very low mechanical power handling, the E's are somewhat better but none of those are like modern speakers.

4. bluehevy75

bluehevy75

Dec 1, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Cool. So I’m hearing you say that with the fdeck I should be all right?

5. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Agreed, you'd likely be better off with something newer from Eminence. The JBL-E140's were the "last of the line" for JBL they had to revert to Ceramic Based Magnets vs Alnico because Zaire and Cambodia were

very dangerous places to extract Cobalt from, during the 1980's. They were designed to handle 200 Watts. The JBL D-140's are alnico magnets. Just my take. You'd definitely want to use the FDeck. If there are two in each cabinet

the speakers are likely to be 16 Ohms each.

6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Using an expensive, nice sounding speaker for doom doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. You don’t know how healthy your old speakers are, they may not be up to spec. Why risk blowing them out.

I’d choose an affordable modern speaker that can handle more than enough power. Let the pedals and amp generate the doom, not the speakers.

7. even with HPF I think. No shame in running the HPF at 60hz.

If it all gets harder to hear it's probably heating up coils and time to stop.

8. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Use modern speakers in well designed cabs for low tunings. Those old drivers are nice sounding for standard tuning, the enclosures let them down even then.

higain617, Ric Vice, br1qbat and 2 others like this.
  9. dan1952

dan1952 Commercial User

Jun 27, 2012
    Anderson IN
    Artist Endorsement with Supro Huntington Basses / Owner, Dan's Music, Inc..
    PLEASE don't use those old Fender cabs for low tuned doom music! I would love to have one of those. They are not built for the music you're going to play.

Haroldo and Rip Van Dan like this.
  10. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    Sure hope they come out with a new one!

bholder likes this.
  11. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Poor cabinet design for the application.

12. byacey

byacey

May 16, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    Your intended use spells doom for those JBL drivers. Better to use a more appropriate driver for the application.

CTv likes this.
  13. br1qbat

br1qbat

Aug 22, 2017
    Marysville, MI
    Poor cabinet design for any application. Those old fender cabs are terrible imo. Sunn probably made the best cabs in that era. But I wouldn't necessarily ovetpay just to have vintage.

The easy answer is just get an Ampeg 8x10 or if you dig 15s, look at Mesa 2x15s. Personally I use a GK neo cab for the dooms (4x12) You could go any of the modern efficient cabs like barefaced or berg too.

IMO you want good spl, low end response, and coverage for those old tube heads (which are perfect for this type of thing). The fenders have none of the above.

To me doom bass tone is all amp and fuzz pedal, and not speaker cone overdrive. Ymmv

higain617, john m and Monterey Bay-ss like this.
  14. bluehevy75

bluehevy75

Dec 1, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Right on team. Thanks for the replies. So I’m, hearing “don’t do it.” Maybe, maybe, it’d be OK, but it’s better to be safe than sorry. I hear you—thanks.

I was going to run the V4 with one cab that had two d140s. That would be for dirt. Then run the other two cabs (each with two e140s (8 ohms a piece 4 ohms total)) with the studio bass (the tap is 8 ohms but it’s good down to 4). This would be for clean. But I’ll get some different cabs. I’m keeping these though for other gigs.

I know the vintage Fender cabs don’t get much love but I found I really like these diagonal cabs. Yes there is some low end rolloff but for the honky tonk, blues, soul, and gospel I’ve been playing for the last 15 years they’ve been perfect. I also understand their smaller size makes them a little inefficient but with the JBL‘s in there and the fact that I can run up to 6-15’s at a time I get more than enough displacement and volume for what I usually do.

15. Monterey Bay-ss

Monterey Bay-ss Supporting Member

Spread the Gospel of DoomTM! Bwahaha! I bet—and hope—you'll have a lot of fun in this new direction.

br1qbat likes this.
  16. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    Please specify your genre of doom.

If you’re playing old school Sabbath-worship I think you’d be hard pressed to find a better set of speakers/cabs to suit your needs.

It you’re playing melodic Scandinavian funeral doom, yeah you might want to follow the advice in this thread and get some more modern cabs or speakers.

If you’re playing immense single note drone, the answer will lie somewhere in the middle.

17. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I would consider the d140s more of a “full range” type woofer. They have great definition and clarity but they’re not going to like the tuned down low frequencies and heavy eq coupled with what will likely be substantial volume. Don’t do it.

18. Weird. All the E140 I have come across have been 8 ohm. 1x15 PA and bass cabs, and 4 ohm 2x15 bass cabs.

19. higain617

higain617

Sep 12, 2013
    WA
    I'd go for the ubiquitous Ampeg fridge. The head should be fine.

br1qbat likes this.
  20. br1qbat

br1qbat

Aug 22, 2017
    Marysville, MI
    I think the drivers are fine. D140s and E140s are great and in a good cab like a Sunn 2x15, they rip.

You might want to give her a go with your current rig. If you are running the 100 watter just for top end and the 200w for rumble/girth, the fender cab should be more than fine for highs. Hell, since you would be running 6 15s it might make enough air move! As long as the low end doesn't lose the plot. That might be where things go sideways. In that case, what about a fender neo bassman cab or 2? Fits the vintagey look, matches the heads, and sounds big!