1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Vintage Kay K2b short scale SG-copy bass.

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by ryognbass, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This is a tough call, but I need cash and space, so it is time for this unused gem to find a new home.

This is a vintage (circa 1969) SG copy bass. It does need a good setup, as the intonation is a bit off, and the action is quite high. this bass is in good condition, but it is missing the bridge cover, and mutes. the projection from the bridge is the mount to which the bridge cover was attached. the body has a fair share of dings but it's held together well for the age. all electronics are all original and functional.. great woody and thick tone out of this bass.

The lower half of the pick guard appears to be homemade though, as it is a thicker plastic and rougher cut. this is not noticeable from afar, and does not affect sound or playability.

I'd like to get $250 plus $40 to cover shipping for the bass. A chipboard case is included.

NOW OPEN TO TRADES! :D
    any offers of interesting pedals/effects (specifically unique fuzzes, Overdrives, and distortions, Phasers, loopers)
    OR
    A nice hefty 2x15 cab (Prefer something local on this one)

5183750404_0e99a5486d.

5183750498_34a9df1c56.

Many more pics available upon request!

Thanks for looking!

2. sanfordandsonny

sanfordandsonny

Nov 15, 2006
    Maryland
    El Presidente of Sanford and Sonny Audio Weapons (Bluebeard Fuzz)
    I think the pickup placement on this is better than on the eb3
    It's placement is more like a Ric.
    Bump

3. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    My first bass was a Kay SG copy that was very similar this, but I think the pickup covers were all chrome. Nice bass, easy to play and sounded good. Mine was sunburst and was stolen.

4. sanfordandsonny

sanfordandsonny

Nov 15, 2006
    Maryland
    Is that squidward in your avatar?
    Any pics of the headstock?

5. Yes, and Yes :D

Here's the back of the headstock,
    4274125736_d06242f658.

and the front as well. I can snap a close-up if anyone would like.
    4274125894_4273f645df.

6. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Awesome bass! I've always liked the SG look and this is pretty slick. I think the backs of the tuners look cool as hell!

7. Thanks! She is a real beauty, but it's time to move on i feel...

and I'll post a detailed pic of the headstock, as well as some more detailed measurements when i get home in a little bit :)

8. 5188363309_5cfe4183b0.

This pic shows the zero-fret, as well as the rest of the headstock. The scratches that you see are mostly dust and fibers, alhough there are a few nicks. The spacing at the nut is 1 5/8", standard Pbass spacing. However, there is a 2 inch spread between the E and G strings at the bridge, which is a strange feature indeed.

9. sanfordandsonny

sanfordandsonny

Nov 15, 2006
    Maryland
    I love that string tree!

10. It certainly is a nice touch! and those strings aren't budging one bit.

Very sturdy bass overall I might add...

Bumparoo

11. sanfordandsonny

sanfordandsonny

Nov 15, 2006
    Maryland
    It's a very kAyC/DC looking bass

12. ;)

Pricedropbump!

13. :bag:
    anyone???

14. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    How heavy is it?

15. I'll weigh it more accurately when I get back home, but my estimate says 8lbs. I'll post the true weight later though.

Update: My bathroom scale says under 7 lbs, but I will try to get a more accurate measurement.

16. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    Thanks, 7lbs? Really?
    I'll have to think hard about this one.....
    Do you have a better pic of the bridge? Is there room left to lower it so I can fix the action?

17. I'll snap a pic of the bridge later today. The action certainly could be lowered with due dillegence, but to adjust the bridge, one would have to bend the saddle back, much like I did.

I just plugged this thing in again though, and it ROARS :bassist:

18. sanfordandsonny

sanfordandsonny

Nov 15, 2006
    Maryland
    A little shim in the next pocket makes all bridges happy

19. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    Is the neck thick or slim?

20. It is certainly a bit of a chunkier neck from front to back, but none moreso than the allparts neck that I have around. the neck is extremely narrow all the way up the board though as far as string spacing. I've always found this bass incredibly comfortable for medium sized hands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.