Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vintage Kay/Selmer Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by teenagebass69, Dec 18, 2004.

1. hey I have a friend who wants to sell me his 40's Kay/Selmer bass for $1100. Does anybody know if this bass is good for classical music or good at all? Any information is appreciated.

2. What happened? Did anyone answer this thread? :confused:

3. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Alright, here goes. I've posted this before; my apologies to those who have seen it before.

My sister is a luthier in LA and a wise-acre. At moments like this she says, "Hold your instrument closer to the screen so I can take a better look."

There is no way any of us can tell you whether this thing is any good. It might be a $20,000.00 bass (although given the Kay name the chances of that are truly minimal). It might be a $3,000.00 bass that needs $2,000.00 worth of work (after you spend $1,100.00 to buy it). It might be a $3,000.00 bass that needs nothing but a dusting. It might be a $200.00 stage-prop that will never be anything even if you put $5,000.00 worth of work into it. The bottom line, TAB, is that you know more about it than we do BUT if you bring it to a luthier before you buy it you will know more about it than you do now.

Das ist alles.

4. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Very accurate response Sam. I see we re-gain our fiestiness once we have our bass back and in working order!

5. I've seen and played Selmer basses. I've never heard of the Kay/Selmer combination of names though. The Selmer basses i'm familiar with were really pretty good.....100% laminated, violin pattern with sloping shoulders, real carved scroll ( not knock offs like Kays ) Real inlaid purfling. Decent machines and end-pins. Ebony FB, Good sound! Good playability.
    A picture would be appropriate if you can pull that off.

6. Same here. A year or so ago, I took a long look at one at George Gruhn's shop in Nashville. It had a good sound but serious setup issues. He was asking around $2500 for it. I think it did sell but I am not sure of the final price.

7. jtlownds

jtlownds

Oct 3, 2004
    LaBelle, FL