Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vintage Kustom 2x15 Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Meyekul, Jul 31, 2005.

1. Hey all, I found this cab on ebay, but the seller doesn't know much about it. Does anyone have a clue what kind of power handling it has? Ohm rating? I've looked around the net a bit and can't find much. The closest I've come is the www.vintagekustom.com site, and I think that its either meant for 200 or 250w at 8 ohms (16 ohms per speaker). So, how much power could I safely put into it?

Here's a link to the auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7338563898

Thanks a bunch.

2. First, this cab is no longer original. The original version had a black grill cloth all the way across the front, NOT the metal speaker grills.

Which makes me wonder if the speakers are original...

These Kustoms had three speaker options, IIRC...The CTS were the lowest option. There was also an option to get it with JBL D140F's (that's what mine had) and also I believe Altecs were available.

Power handling with the CTS speakers was indeed probably in the 250 watt range.

IF the cab were completely original--correct grill cloth, correct handles on the side, and correct casters on the bottom, and if the grill and vinyl were good, it'd maybe be worth $200 with the CTS speakers, on a good day, IMHO, if there were a local Kustom fan around. (Who wants to pay shipping on this puppy?) It'd be worth more with the JBL's.

As it is now, I wouldn't give more than $50 for it. I'd assume the speakers need replacing--CTS speakers aren't exactly high-end speakers, anyhow. And replacing the grill cloth is a PITA. (I have had it off on mine, the front baffle can be unbolted from the inside). If the tuck-and-roll needs major repair, that's another PITA.

On second thought, I wouldn't want it at all unless somebody gave it to me, in its present shape....While this cab was OK in its day, it's not THAT well-built, there's not a whole lot of bracing inside.

Kustoms in excellent condition are good-looking, with a nice old-school tone, but an old abused cab...I'd pass...

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yeah....what he said.

I had a Kustom 3x15 at one point, and it was in a lot better shape than that one, minus the fact that the handles on those things suck and break quite easily, not making it any easier to move.

Unoriginal grille and whatever else has been done to the front of it is a big loser on this one. I had a matching head in sparkle blue, and it benched at clean to 37 watts, even though it was a 200. Even had the amp been better, the speakers weren't up to the task any more than the head.

Bought the whole rig for $200. When I sold it, I got 200 for the head and 150 for the cab, but that was me taking advantage of someone.

4. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Back in high school in the 70's, I had a Kustom 200, and I also have a very good memory. :)

As was already said, the cab originally had a frame with a black grille cloth on it, and the logo and port rings were mounted on that.

Those speakers do not look like the original CTS, which had a vented dust cap. They also do not look like the original JBL, which had an aluminum dust cap. They might be Altecs, though.

I'd be real careful with the power. No more than 400 clean watts.

If you pull the speakers and take pics of them we could positively identify them for you. We TB'ers are good for that kind of thing. :p

Cheers,
    Nightbass the Elder

5. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    +1

Everything the other 3 guys said. I seem to be a little older than them, and, like B-Skies, I, too, had a 3 x 15 w/200 Head. Mine was red sparkle, and I owned it back during "the day"... 1971, and I sold it in 1975. My cab had the JBL's. While stunningly beautiful, IMHO, they truly weren't built like all the fabulous choices we have today... but we are talking 34 years to improve product and/or technology!

There wasn't a whole lot of choices for bass amplification back in the late 60s, when I first got started. Fender, naturally, had their Bassmans, Sunn had their bad boy Coliseums, and, least I forget, Ampeg had some interesting choices. Acoustic introduced their solid-state stuff back then. Jim Marshall was still focusing on guitar amps, but I do think he had a bass product out there... was it the Major? (I'll have to go research that...) Vox had a product. I seem to recall that Orange introduced their stuff back then. And, of course, there were the cool and beautiful tuck 'n rolls from that little 'ol company out of Chanute, Kansas... I think it's safe for me to say that none of these choices had the power, clarity, tone, and more importantly, build quality of the products we enjoy today. I'll admit that I chose my red sparkle rig more for looks than performance... I was a young, dumb teenager back then! Also, the Kustom rig was more affordable... I seem to recall.

I would pass on that offer on ebay, if I were you... it needs way too much help, and without the grill cloth, to me it looks awful... :spit:

6. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

I have to agree that the bottom line with Kustom stuff is that compared to the stuff today, it just isn't worth it. I can undersand if you're trying to do an ol' school thing and you want that vibe onstage, but they just don't sound that great, can't play that loud and are a pain to move. Its amazing to look at things and realize tha my little Schroeder 1212, which I can lift and carry with one hand, is louder, cleaner and better sounding than that HUGE fridge.

The best part of my Kustom story is that I bought the amp from a gentleman who went by the name MAMBO. He showed up with it in the back of a beat up pickup truck, and looked like he just walked out of 1973. I gave him the 200 bucks and a case of cheap beer for the amp.

7. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Loved this! You reminded my of a "Kustom" story: I grew up in Irving, Texas, which is next to Dallas. Some musician friends and I (I was 19 - 20 at this time, and still quite the novice player) on occasion would drive over to the west-side of Fort Worth, about an hour's drive in those days, to a barbeque and beer joint, which was owned by a black lady... Rosie. Some of the best bbq I've ever had in my 52 years! Anyway, the clientele was mostly black folks, and Rosie featured live blues, r&b, or jazz bands Fri, Sat & Sun. That's when musicians of all color would show up, because Rosie presented only the best! B.B. King, Freddie King, to name a couple of big blues acts, were known to bless this place with their music, but I unfortunately never got to catch them playing on any of my visits... :(

Anyway... one evening when we drove over to Rosie's, she had a blues band on her little stage. All the players were black guys, but the guy playing the house upright grand piano was a white guy. To me, these players were all old dudes (yeah, right... probably in their 40s). There singer was a tall, thin black lady (definitely younger than the men)... who reminded be of the great Billie Holiday, but this lady had her own style. Now, here comes the "Kustom" part of my story: the entire backline... blue-sparkle Kustoms- bass, 2 guitar amps. So was their PA... those tall columns were blue-sparkle, too!

Those blue-sparkle Kustoms! That's what influenced my decision to get my red-sparkled rig. Have you ever wished Kustom would retro the tuck-'n-roll look, but with improvements that would be expected today? :hyper:

I moved to Hawaii in 1979, so I've no idea if Rosie's is still around...

8. Thanks for the advice guys, I knew someone would know more about these things :)

9. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    You stole my old sig... :(

10. I did? I'm sorry, I'll try to find a new one later on today :)

11. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Don't worry about it.

Just treat it well.