1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vintage Kustom Amp head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bilby, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Bilby

Bilby

Dec 16, 2012
    I found a Kustom amp head for sale the guy says it's from the '70s should I get it how do these sound? Would they be good for rock/metal

2. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    Model? Condition? Price? Did you try it? Did you try it at different volumes and from all the input jacks?

3. Bilby

Bilby

Dec 16, 2012
    don't know the model Appears to be in good condition it's for $600 obo I have to drive to it should I even consider it?

4. Jim Kernan

Jim Kernan

Sep 25, 2008
    NEPA
    I had to borrow a 100 watt Kustom a while back. Looked good, but had issues, not all inputs worked. Didn't sound clean all the time. $600 sounds like a lot to me.

5. Sounds like waaay too much to me.

This is solid state by the way, not tube.

I had a early 70's Kustom K250 rig--head and matching 2x15 cab--in black tuck'n'roll, sold it a couple years ago. I wouldn't even consider the head alone for 600, in fact I wouldn't give 600 for the whole rig.

6. I used to play out with a Kustom 200 rig for that "vintage look", but the sound was pretty poor, so I switched to Eden and Mesa rigs. Sounds overpriced to me, too. They definitely look cooler than they sound.

7. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    $600 for 100 solid state watts?

Avoid like the plague. Just because something is Ol' Skool doesn't mean it's good.

8. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    Fun for the man cave if you can pick one up for nearly nothing, but for $600 you can get a real amp including many nice vintage tube amps. Pass.

9. +1. for that $$$ you can get decent modern stuff. A lot of modern gear has come a long way & positively too.

10. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    no 600$ is way too much 200 is high for that amp. Id buy it at 50-100 tops....

11. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    In top internal and external condition, and with the right set up, a Kustom 100 watter can sound great. But most need some work to get back to that point. That said, $600 would be way too much even for one of those. Maybe if had a JBL or Altec loaded cab and in cascade, red, white or charcoal sparkle, maybe, maybe then. For example, I have a '69 in black TnR in perfect condition (100 watts RMS) that would sell for about $200. :cool:

12. Also I should point out that there are a couple of components in the early Kustom amps that are unobtainable today, such as the power switch (which is prone to failure, the 40 year old plastic parts are now brittle) and a few of the integrated circuits (IC's) which haven't been made in decades.

13. lfh

lfh

Dec 18, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The value of vintage Kustom is highly dependent on the model (A or B series and the feature set) and the color. The most valuable models are the K200A-3 (used by James Jamerson) and K200A-4 (used by John Fogerty) and I'm sure people happily pay more than 600 for them. OTOH the more common models are worth way less as already mentioned. To play loud rock 'n' roll with either model you probably need two cabs (or a very efficient one).

14. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    Not sure if they all exhibit this, but the old Kustom solid state bass amp I have makes a noticeable hiss with no signal present. Probably the worst amp I own, (my others five are Ampegs).

15. Essentially what Oren said.
    KLustom 200 Brealizes 10 was with (2) 8 ohm cabs. Otherwisew with 1 cab.. only 50 watts..only suited for Fender Super and similar..smaller guitar combos.

Againts a stack??..MAYBE..With (2) 2X15 cabs; especially when loaded

16. CONTINUED..

.....When loaded with J B L's or Altecs. Otherwise, C T S loaded ..like mine..a 1971.. is anemic against larger guitar amps.

They were built like tanks..plenty manufactured, so plenty exist...so not as pricy as some vintage amps.

They do have an inherent Solid State [white noise] hiss..which is not noticeable when performing..jamming..gigging.

17. WHEW... CLARITY... Old tuck-n-roll Kustom realizes 100 watts with 2 cabs.. 50 watts with 1 cab.

18. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Lol I sold my 78 Kustom for like 100 bucks. And it was serviced and all. 130W. No way I'd go there.