Vintage Laney amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockin John, Jul 8, 2002.

1. A couple of pics of this vintage 50 Watt. They're not brilliant (cos I got too close with the camera:eek: )

One of the front and one with it's clothes off.

2. Ooops. Here's the one with it's clothes off:eek:
  3. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    nice, not many amps are made like that nowadays

4. Cool!

How does she sound?Circa what year was she made?
  5. I think it sounds really nice:D

The Laney delivers about 35 Watts (normal for a 50 W amp) so it's not loud enough. So what I do - and I hope this makes sense to y'all - is I run the Laney into a dummy load because I've got no speakers for it yet. I've built a little box that transforms the signal appearing across the dummy load into something suitable to supply the input of a SS slave. The slave then drives a 1 x 15" cab. The result, therefore, is a louder version of the actual valve sound...if that makes sense :eek: Naturally when I get some speakers for it, the Laney will contribute to the sound level as I will still run the SS slave.

No idea how old it is. Best guess is early 70s.

I paid just £10 for it BTW as a non-working piece. The 2 dumpy little capacitors on the L/H side of the chassis is the repair I've done as the main smoothing capacitor was duff. I've left that in situ so the chassis looks complete. All the transformers are made by Partridge, too. :D

2 x EL34s for the output bottles.

Yep, all in all a really nice piece and great value for the money..