1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage Les Paul Triumph... thoughts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rojo412, Dec 6, 2011.

1. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    My old man decided he wants one of these. He's a guitar player (well, actually a better term may be a "guitar owner" because he doesn't play), but wants to buy a bass.

What's the collectability of these? Are they increasing in value?
    What should I tell him to look for/avoid?

2. Dan Lenard

Dan Lenard Banned

Mar 8, 2002
    I have owned a pair of these for nearly 40 years - great basses!

They are NOT a hot collectible , which is good if you are looking to buy one.

Price range ? $1,500 - $2,500.

Beware of and avoid basses with repaired headstocks.

3. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Ah yes, the dreaded "Gibson Headstock."
    Is there any real difference in the various years of these?

4. edgaroviz

edgaroviz

Aug 8, 2011
    Israel
    what about the new gibsons?

5. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I never cared for them

6. Dan Lenard

Dan Lenard Banned

Mar 8, 2002
    Entirely different bass

7. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    I have a Triumph with a repaired headstock. the repair is very stable and hasn't been an issue for me. when repairs are done properly, the value of the instrument might drop a bit but it remains playable. I find the Triumph to be a great sounding bass for all kinds of music and it has a wide range of tone. the only downside is it's weight, but even that doesn't bother me for the most part.

8. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    The reason he wants to buy one is for an investment. And the ones that he seems to find are on the top end of that price spectrum, so I'm thinking that it's probably best for him to wait for the right deal to come along.

Thanks for the info, everyone! I'll pass along my findings to him.

And yes, I've heard that repaired headstock Gibsons tend to be stronger than new, if done right. But the value drops, so they are for the player.

9. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

May 23, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Moody Leathers endorsed artist
    The pop appeal of the Triumph Recording bass rose when Adam Clayton was pictured playing one during the U2 360 tour...

Yeah, I said it. But its the truth.

10. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I picked up a '74 Triumph last year in excellent condition. I've wanted one for some time and I'm glad I finally got one - I think it's a great bass. Les said it was the best bass he knew how to make and I believe it. The tones are extremely versatile with the passive low impedance pickups (brilliant) - very wide spectrum and with completely usable tone controls. The Treble isn't shrill and the Bass doesn't automatically turn it to mud. The 3 varitone presets are also usable - one of them is his homage to Leo and modeled after a P bass.

I don't find the weight a factor - it's no heavier than some of my Fenders. A wide strap takes care of it easily.

The info already given is accurate for pricing - it is not a hot collectable that will skyrocket in value over the years. Gibson made a lot of them. It's usually us old fogeys that were aware of them when they came out that are buying them now. I am enjoying mine very much - great tones and short scale to boot! Always fun to switch off to a lesser scale.

You can find a lot of info here:
    Gibson Les Paul Triumph Bass

Make sure he gets a Triumph and not the earlier version - it would need a LowZ to HighZ converting cable. This feature is built into the Triumph with a switch.

11. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    We've started looking at other ones for the moment. The Triumph he was looking at, he's emailing the guy a reasonable offer. In the mean time, though, we may look at an early 70s P bass that's local.

12. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Funny he told me the same thing when I saw him after a show in NY. Said they are great basses, but regrets not making them long scale as he thought they would have been more popular.

Some say the earlier "Recording" model, which you need a transformer is slightly better sounding due its slightly thicker body?

You can identify it by it being the one without the massive plastic control cover, dot inlay neck & non bound neck & headstock.
    Here-
    Gibson Les Paul Bass

I have seen these sell from $800 - $2500

13. midichlorine

midichlorine Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2005
    IMG_1045.

bamm!!

14. bassclef112

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Oooooooooooo.....

That was what was on the wish list. I just couldn't swing it though. I love them in white (cream).

15. bassclef112

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Yeah, I caught that in an interview he did. Gibson wouldn't go for the longer scale though. Another brilliant marketing decision....:rollno:

16. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I had one back in 1974: nice bass, if it's your thing.