1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage look microphone

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TrueNorthMatt, Feb 18, 2008.

1. TrueNorthMatt

TrueNorthMatt Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec City
    Hello. I'm looking for a stage vintage look microphone. At this time, I've found only three different models that might do the trick:

- Shure 55sh
    - Electro-Voice Blue Raven
    - Electro-Voice Blue Cardinal

Does anyone have any advice on the subject? I've never bought such microphones before. Thanks a lot!

2. they all have to look, but with Modern elements, I've used the EV's, and they are fantastic (look the part, but sound modern). The green bullet (Shure 520dx) is a real nice mic for a mid-presence nasal type of thing (popular with harmonica players, but sound awesome for vocals)

3. TrueNorthMatt

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec City
    Thanks for your quick answer. ;)

The microphone is for my singer, a cute and tiny woman. Hahaha! I don't have a clue what kind of sound she exactly wants, but she asked to look for a vintage looking microphone... That's all the information I have. :p

4. Well condenser mics are real even and great for vocals, period.

You'd do well to check these guys out too

http://www.bluemic.com/

They make some of the finest sounding (yet still decidedly retro looking) mics I've ever heard. Particularly the Blueberry & Mouse

5. Also, check out the Shure 55sh. Nice cardiod vocal mic, classic look.

6. TrueNorthMatt

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec City
    Hehe! Like I said in my original post... But thanks! I'm looking at Blue Microphones right now, the mouse looks very cool. But is the sensibility too high for live performance? The music we do is pretty much metal-oriented and the sound level on stage is often really high.

---EDIT------------

Just noticed that Blue Microphones are high-end gear and cost A LOT! Hahaha!

7. Ah, so I take it you saw the 55 and didn't think it would work? Curious as to why.....

I figured it was an icon, and in your OP, you didn't mention it, so...I suggested it.

And the Blue Mics are very sensitive...definitely not good for onstage Metal.

Sorry. Would have never suggested Blue if you said you had a price concern.

8. TrueNorthMatt

Mar 7, 2004
    Quebec City
    Ok thanks. My bet right now is that the 55 would be great. I'll try to see with my local store if they have any in stock.

9. The Shure 55 is rugged, and the cardioid pick up pattern is a plus for controlling feedback if you use it correctly. It also has a shock-mounted cartridge, which is a good idea for stage use. Frequency response of 50-15K HZ also looks good - response falls off over 10KHZ but that's not a problem for vocals. Phantom powering a condenser mic isn't a big deal, but it's one more thing that can go wrong. The Shure is a dynamic mike which means it's a bit less sensitive, but requires no power. I like that.