vintage look?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Apr 28, 2004.

1. how can i get that cool looking wear on my bass and neck, can i put some kind of chemical on it or do i just have to play it to death.
  2. play it to death you'll get more respect :bassist:
  3. know what you mean i have alawys liked the look of a well worn instrument.
  4. Drink vinegar. It'll make your sweat really acidic, which will wear the finish and metal parts faster.
    Women will ignore you, but what the hell, right?
  5. I'd play it so damned much it began to show wear, rather than "relicing" it.
  6. si-fidelity

Apr 13, 2004
    for your neck you can try and sand it down a little. Try some fine sand paper and lightly, very lightly sand it down. it'll look a little less shiny and feel a little more played in. but if i'm guessing right, you have a satin finish neck... which wasn't used on vintage necks, so you're not really going to get the look. besides scraping some paint off the body, some dents and scratches and sanding it in places of high wear there's not much else i could help you with. although i don't recommend you do it unless you really don't care about the bass. i've only done the neck thing for feel.. i practised on some dodgy bass of mine (the backup's back up aka general throw around) then did it on my bass. you could pay for a Custom shop bass, or maybe the real thing?? ha... um. yeah, just be careful.
  7. byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    IVe posted here about my Musicmaster that was returned to me after 25 years. Wow, did it look worn. I never played that much and a drummer had it for the duration. Maybe just the years go to it.
  8. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Fender just bashes 'em to death with a bundle of belt buckles. I suppose you could consider it an "art", and there are guys who specialize in "relicing" guitars for people. Doing a quick search on the internet should give you a few options...might be good to ask them how they do it.