1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage Martin destroyed on movie set......

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by wmhill, Feb 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
  2. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

3. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Sad. But tbh I'd bet there's a bit of yarn-spinning here. No secret that career actors with the kind of résumé Russell has often get turned loose in scenes to perform their craft. As well, there's the possibility that he never even knew it was authentic.

Still a shame. 1870's? Dang. I was too scared to even touch a 30's era Martin at a local shop.

47th Street likes this.
  4. If it was not adequately insured, that is Martin's fault. Who would be dumb enough to turn over a 145 year old instrument to a movie crew without adequate insurance??

Munjibunga likes this.
  5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This was stupidity on parade from the onset. There is nothing whatsoever about having an authentic vintage Martin on the set, or in the movie for that matter, that propels the story whatsoever. They could have used ANY old looking acoustic and it would have done the trick. They could have even faked a vintage Martin if they had to have a Martin for the story.

(Sure, some dipstick over at the Martin forum would have raised holy H E double over it. Nobody cares what dipsticks in forums think anyway. :cool:)

But the company was stupid for loaning it to them to begin with! And the movie crew was stupid for assuming that having the genuine article on set did anything at all for the movie. :meh:

All of this was idiotic. Period. :banghead:

I could make a movie about James Dean right now. I could do it WITHOUT driving an ACTUAL 1955 Porsche 550 Spyder. Yes, half a dozen dipsticks over at the Porsche forum would care. Nobody else would. o_O

Stupid. Just stupid. That idiot at the Martin museum is at least half to blame for this. In fact, there's more than 100% blame to go around. The movie company 50%. The museum 50%. The actors 5%. The crew 5%. And me for getting so worked up about it 1.78624%. Yes, I realize that's just under 112%. There's probably more if I think about it.

A story like this is what this little guy was made for. -----> :rollno:

6. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

The article said Russell thought he was handling a prop copy.

And I agree with 2 fingers that it is really stupid for a valuable antique to be used as a movie prop or for it to be on the set for any reason.

If they were to make a movie about drag racing in the 60's, would you agree to let them borrow the 427 AC Cobra from your collection just so they could have a real one on the set instead of an easy to get replica?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

The article doesn't mention how the Gibson Custom Shop actually sent over a bunch of guitars. They just had such bad QC they couldn't pass for the vintage piece so they had to use the real thing.

;) :D

8. Definitely!

images%2Fslides%2Fmartin_lawrence_then_082812_400jrw.

9. El Güero

El Güero

Oct 5, 2015
    Yep. They could have used a Chinese guitar with a fake Martin logo and next to no one would have known the difference.

10. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California

My sentiments exactly.

11. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Montreal, QC
    Sure, but using the actual, period correct "real thing" is the sort of movie backstory trivia that Tarantino loves to talk about in interviews. I can see exactly why he, of all directors, wanted it. That being said, it was a painful mistake to let that guitar out of the museum.

I'd love to know how big of a check QT (or Harvey Weinstein) wrote to Martin for their troubles.

wmhill likes this.