1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

VINTAGE MODIFIED JAZZ-FAKE SKUNK STRIPE?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowphatbass, Aug 14, 2012.

1. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    So a co-worker brought his VM Jazz in to work today. It was natural/rosewood. I thought it was odd that a rosewood board neck had a skunk stripe, when I looked closer it seemed like the skunk stripe just dyed or colored into the maple neck. I didn't study it for too long so I'm not 100% sure, but it appeared so.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone can confirm this, and if so why Fender/Squier would feel the need to add a skunk stripe on a RW neck? It doesn't seem like that would be a deal breaker at that price point.

2. WavyGravy

WavyGravy

Jun 11, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Don't know about rosewood models, but my Squier VM has a one piece maple neck with a real stripe

3. Why would they put a walnut stripe in a neck if it didn't need it to get the truss rod in?

That'd be silly. Look closer.

FWIW - the rosewood fingerboard on my VM-Jaguar is the same way - where they could have put the truss rod in before capping the neck with the dark wood and it wouldn't need one either, and yet there's real walnut in the back of the neck.

4. lowphatbass

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Yea, I'll check it out more closely. It really looked like the grain from the maple continued into, and back out of the stripe quite consistently. I've certainly seen stripes on rosewood Fender necks before, I guess it's for the benefit of streamlining the manufacturing process....it just seemed silly to go through the process of "staining" on a stripe.

FWIW, the bass was a Left-Handed model.

5. Left handed? All bets are off then.

6. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    For the record, there is no technical reason for there to be a trussrod-routed back on anything but a one-piece neck.

However, Fender has had some trussrod-routed rosewood- and maple-capped necks. I know because I own some and have worked on others.

Reason? Appearance, maybe.

7. Andy_D

Andy_D

Nov 28, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Mine is quite real. You can feel a very slight difference in height at the end of it, and catch it with your fingernail like it wasn't sanded 100% flush. Doesn't affect neck feel or playability, and I only saw this on close examination from reading this thread.

8. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    I have a MIM Precision and had an SQ series Squier Precision with rosewood boards and skunk stripes. I knocked down the glossy finish on the MIM and have played it so much the stripe has faded. It's definitely inlaid, but I don't think it's real walnut. More likely a cheaper wood that has been dyed.

9. This may turn into another rumor like: "The inlays are painted on".

I swear - people try to find the niggling-est reason to denigrate a Squier/Squire.

10. dj5

dj5

Sep 17, 2009
    England
    If you take off the neck, as I did out of curiosity, you can see that the inlay is real, even though I would have SWORN it was painted on.
    This on the maple f/board by the way.

11. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    LOL!!! I bought a fretless SX neck for my SX 75 JB copy and I believe the skunk stripe is stained onto the back of it. I just laughed about that as I had only spent $40 for the neck. After the neck gets finished and "it works" I won't feel too bad. However if I had paid $$$ for the neck I'd be upset.

12. lowphatbass

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I'm not trying to denigrate Squier. Not only do I own/gig a couple but I actually suggested the purchase to my co-worker. This was just an observation that didn't make sense so I thought I would put the question out there.
    I've been playing Fenders/Squiers for a long time. It makes more sense that the stripe is actually real, but the grain-matching is really something. When I set this bass up in a few weeks I'll try to take some pics and post them here.

13. I've had several Fender Strats with rosewood board and skunk stripe. Not unusual.

14. The type for fretboard material has nothing to do with whether or not the bass has a "skunk stripe". Rear routing for the truss rod is for the arched groove which is required for the truss rod to operate and put pressure on the mid section of the neck to provide neck straightening/relief. I would guess over 95% of all Fender basses use this type of truss rod.
    Rocky

15. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

Jan 21, 2011
    YYZ
    I checked my VM Jazz & confirmed that it is NOT actual SKUNK...