Vintage Modified jazz refinish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ericdanger13, Jul 26, 2013.

1. ericdanger13

ericdanger13

Oct 30, 2012
    Danbury Ct
    Hey guys and gals. I've been seeing a lot of posts and questions relating to refinishes with automotive paint on basses. Since I work for an automotive paint company I thought I would show you guys what I did.

The first thing I did was scuff the finish with a grey scotch brite and a lot of scuff paste. Because there were nobdings or chips I could paint right over the finish it had. I just made sure there was no shine left on the bass.

Attached Files:

2. ericdanger13

ericdanger13

Oct 30, 2012
    Danbury Ct
    After it was prepped I made a custom color at work. Used a nice non aggressive surface cleaner. Let it dry. Wiped with with a tac-rag and based the body. 4 coats on the front. 3 on the sides. 1 on the back.

Attached Files:

3. 'Pimp my bass ' :)

Awesome!!

4. ericdanger13

ericdanger13

Oct 30, 2012
    Danbury Ct
    After that I let it tac up. I got a small blemish in the top from when I flipped it over. (Oh well). I put 5 coats of a lacquer clear coat out of a spray can on the top. And four on the sides.I didn't clear the back for a few reasons. Mainly I ran out of clear. But also with one coat you can really see the wood grain still. And I like the flat look of the orange. Once I remove the over spray from the back I'll post pics. But here's the front dry this morning. I'll put the maple block neck, black pick guard and some black vintage knobs on it some time next week.

Attached Files:

5. Neek

Neek

Nov 26, 2008
    South Florida
    Very cool. The color reminds me of the burnt orange that I've seen on Corvettes. Also similar to the orange found on some Ibanez models. Looks good!

6. ericdanger13

ericdanger13

Oct 30, 2012
    Danbury Ct
    Thanks Neek! That's what its based off of but I changed it a little. Photos do not do the pearl in it justice.

7. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Why didn't you screw a stick to the neck cavity so you could spray both sides and hang it to dry? I dig the color and how slick it looks

8. ericdanger13

ericdanger13

Oct 30, 2012
    Danbury Ct
    I didn't have anywhere to hang it. Plus laying it flat let me clear the hell out of it with less risk of runs.

9. I absolutely LOVE that colour!

Exactly what is it?

10. lossfizzle

lossfizzle

Jul 8, 2013
    +1 and +1.

(I had a Mazda in something very close to that color for a while. Looks better on your VM though.)

11. ericdanger13

ericdanger13

Oct 30, 2012
    Danbury Ct
    Its a gm orange pearl. In Sherwin Williams automotive paint. I adjusted it and changed a toner or two. I'll post photos Tuesday when its back together.

12. ericdanger13

ericdanger13

Oct 30, 2012
    Danbury Ct
    It's finally put together! It plays as good as it looks.

Attached Files:

13. ericdanger13

ericdanger13

Oct 30, 2012
    Danbury Ct
    Two more for all of you.

Attached Files:

14. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    That is a pretty color, grats!

15. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe

Nice job! I agree w/you that gravity works w/you laying it flat. Early Fender factory movies (late 50's) show the sprayer working bodies flat each on their own pallet.

16. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    Awesome.

17. ericdanger13

ericdanger13

Oct 30, 2012
    Danbury Ct
    Thanks everyone. I don't know if anyone noticed but I put a kill switch in it. So it goes volume, tone, kill switch. Two off positions and one on.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021