1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage Modified P vs. Unknown Parts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shadewind, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Hello,

I've been offered by a friend to buy a Squier Vintage Modified P for 2000 SEK. It sounds good but it lacks a bit low end punch. Might that be because it's made of Agathis?

At the same time, I've been offered to buy a bunch of parts from a guy. It's a complete set so I can build a bass from it. The price is the same as the Squier. The question is, these parts are of unknown origin but the body seems to be alder or ash according to the seller (probably alder in that case). Can anyone identify this body:
    http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gxsnnGS

There might be some hints in the way the bridge is mounted since there seems to be holes left from another bridge than the five-hole one in the picture.

The neck is unknown as well. It is not a fender neck since it has no Fender markings on the heel so I suppose the logo has been added buy the guy who originally bought it.

Which of these should I go for? I need me a Precision Bass for music production :)

2. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    How much is 2000 SEK in American money?

3. 2000 Swedish kronor = 281.00600 U.S. dollars

... according to Google.

4. I'd probably go with the parts. Put it together, then opt for a high end pickup, wiring kit and good strings. I'd also strip that black paint off and let the body breath :D

5. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    That's about the price of two Vintage Modifieds in America. I don't know how expensive basses are there compared to here but if its apples to apples that is pretty expensive.

The Vintage Modified probably lacks low-end punch because it's a pretty cheap model. I mean, you could change the pickups out and probably get something better but if you gotta upgrade something that already costs too much it's not really worth it.

It looks like some of those parts from the parts bass have characteristics of Fender, including the body.

6. It's just you Americans who have cheap instruments, the rest of the world is expected to pay quite a lot, especially since the US Dollar is worth quite a lot compared to the Swedish Crown these days (seems quite unfair :().

The price for a new VM Precision from thomann.de is 2800 SEK: 2800 Swedish kronor = 393.4084 U.S. dollars

I have no idea what the parts are but you think I should go with them? Seems unlikely that the body is a Fender since there seems to be extra mounting holes. But you think I should go with the parts? They look kind of nice anyway :)

7. Except that wood doesn't breathe... so that would only be for the looks :)

But if I get the parts, I'll probably get a Seymour Duncan QP and some decent pots and, jacks and wires. Strings I will obviously change no matter what I opt for, I've never kept the strings on a new instrument.

8. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    You got wiggle room with the parts to make something all your own.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 23, 2020