1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vintage Morley Bulbs

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by andvari7, Jul 20, 2012.

1. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    So, I'm at the point where I should be considering replacements for the tiny 387 bulb in my Morley PWB. At the very least, I could plunk down $5 for four of them through Morley themselves. But, as this is a pedal I intend to keep for a long time, I would rather get a bulb that I don't have to replace every two years (of consistent use, and constant forgetfulness). Naturally, this leads to LEDs. Why shouldn't I use an LED 387 bulb in my Morley? If the answer is "You should," then which one would be best?

2. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    I took the liberty of contacting Morley yesterday, and the customer service contact told me that I needed to purchase the bulb. LEDs will not work. I think I may have given him the mistaken impression that there weren't LEDs in a 387 bulb footprint, which there are. I can get them from Allied Electric, Newark or Digi-Key. Of course, to get anything from Digi-key is to immediately invite the persistent catalogues, emailes and phone calles, so there is a trade-offe.

3. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I would guess that the LED wouldn't put off the same kinda light intensity, but its hard to say whether it would work closely enough without trying. Personally I find the bulbs so easy to replace that I don't really consider it a deal at all as long as I make sure to have a spare handy. I've had my 70s PWB for several years now and have only had to change the bulb once so far (had a new bulb when I bought it and I accidentally left it plugged in and on for over a week the one time I did have to replace the bulb)- I generally just make sure not to leave it turned on if I'm going to leave it plugged in. I don't use it as much as you though (I probably did when I first got it). I will be interested to hear your results with an LED if you do decide to try...do the LEDs take the same voltage as the bulbs?