1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage Mosrite Ventures Bass....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by k5koy, Oct 29, 2010.

1. k5koy

k5koy

Oct 27, 2008
    Dallas, Tx.
    Somebody tell me about these. Things such as tone, comfort of play, how the neck plays, etc. Im pretty sure I need one, but they seem pretty hard to find locally to test drive...

Koy-West Texas

**1982 Ibanez USAtk 4 string Bass
    **GIBSON 1981 Victory Artist Bass
    **Robin Hybrid Freedom Bass
    **1980 Peavey T-40 4 String Bass
    **Carvin LB70 Walnut Bass
    **Warwick Corvette 4 Standard Hybrid
    **Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
    **Tradition Fretless Bass
    **Ibanez EW20ZW Electric/Acoustic
    **Carvin BR510N Combo+Peavey Tour 15
    **Carvin PB100-15

Ibanez Club #682
    US Peavey Club #177
    Carvin Club #156
    Texas Bassist Club #66
    Fender Jazz Bass Club #328

2. bassvi

bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Iowa
    I can tell you I would love to have one.....

subscribed

3. 4-Bang'er

4-Bang'er Guest

Oct 3, 2006
    The real 60's models? $$$ that's the 1st thing yr gonna need. I like the looks-sound...eh. The Ventures Bob Bogel used different models over several years in the 1960's at least. My man Ricky "Groove Master" Wilson ala The B-52's used several Mosrite guitars when he was still around (died 1985) -loved his guitar sound. I fondled around with a blue single pick up one in like 1975? at a local dealer I use to visit. I was a kid...but loved the feel of it-wasn't playing yet-but I'd snag one if U got the loot.

4. the 60s Mosrite Hi-Flyers had single coil pickups with CuNiFe - should be pretty bright sounding, with pretty low output.

If the look of the bass is what's important to you, check out the Matsumoku-produced Univox Hi Flyers - available in single coil and HOT humbucker versions - very playable, and considerably cheaper than a vintage Mosrite

5. Ed Roman is THE GUY for all your Mosrite info and sales. If you go to that site, you can spend hours drooling over them - and if my memory is near correct, they are still in somewhat limited production on a one-off version if you want one.

There are clones, but the original Mosrite was the best.

I owned a Mosrite Venture's Model guitar - red - with roller whammy and the whole ball that was burned up in a car accident. I've never been the same mentally.

From Ed Roman's webpage:::

So - be careful what you buy, as it might be a clone or an outright forgery.

This is the link to all the Mosrites he has for sale:::

http://www.edroman.com/guitars/mosrite_for_sale.html

6. Ed Roman doesn't a[pear to know the difference between a copy and a fake. It isn;t fair of him to call out Eastowwod, for example, as fraudsters, since they sell their self-branded copies as new reproductions and don;t represent them as Mosrites - heck, Eastwood actually class their Hi-Flyer a copy of the Univox Hi-Flyer (70s Japanese Mosrite copy).

I think Ed Roman is playing fast and loose with the terms "fake" and "copy" - and taking advantage of potential customers in the process.

7. I've been to the Roman store in Vegas, find him as real, authentic and he's been in business for a long time.

He played with many of the great bands in years back and as far as making unsubstantiated claims, he has too big of a profile to risk it on making wild accusations and false claims. He'd be out of business fast and his doors slammed.

His high profile would be a tasty target for some lawyers in a heartbeat.

No -- I'd put money on Ed telling the truth here as he has a lot more to lose than just attorney's fees and some time in court.

I talked to one of Nokie's bandmates about this a couple of months ago, and he too feels Ed has a legal and logical gripe here.

That guy and another partner also own a music store that is posted with all sorts of Venture's memorabilia and autographed pixs with both he and one or many of the Ventures in the same photos. They are all wearing Venture-band garb and the pixs are not 'Photo-Shop'd.

I'd say they have fingers on the real pulse of this situation and THEY are incensed at the clones that are coming out of NYC too.

8. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    here's a pic of the real thing ( circa 1970).

this one is 100% stock, original, doesn't have low output and sounds great. the neck on it is pretty thin and the frets are tiny.

Mosrite-1.

mosrite-2.

9. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    I owned several Mosrites ~1970. I can tell you that their finishes were beautiful and their necks played well and stayed straight. The only problem was their pickups which were weak and didn't have a properly-shaped sound.
    When Mosrite went our of business, the music store I used to work at bought all their remaining stock (hundreds of instruments) for a stupid-cheap price (way less than a hundred bucks each). When I see the prices these sell for now, it pains me that I didn't buy a few and put them in the attic.

10. I'm not attacking the guy - and I'm sure that copies have been faked up to look like Mosrites - but when Ed accuses Eastwood and other manufacturers (who don;t represent their instruments as anything other than copies) of being fraudulent, he's full of baloney, plain and simple.

those bridge covers are rare. I really like the look of that slant!

11. The ONLY RI Mosrites I know and really want to accept are the ones currently made by Dana Moseley, daughter of the original designer/builder, Semie 'Mosrite' Moseley.

I drove my 1960 Corvair to their company outlet in what I believe was Oildale in California to get a replacement bridge for one of the Ventures in about 1963 or so - I know it was in the middle of Summer anyway.

The company was real - they actually made guitars there and I just stared at the place, dumbfounded. This was before my guitar burned up in that accident.

I bought my Venture's Mosrite in a music shop on Beach Boulevard in Huntington Beach a few weeks later. Gawd - it was P U R E S E X !!!

Here's a recent legal RI:::
    mk1ranger-sb.

Support for Mosrite guitars is still very strong and here's a site with some great gear:::

http://guitar-collecting.com/?page_id=25

With prices where they are and the rarity of original models, I am priced totally out of the market for ever owning one again.

12. k5koy

k5koy

Oct 27, 2008
    Dallas, Tx.
    Thanks Giz, is that music store still in business?
    Johnk- Thats a beauty my friend! I am green with envy!

Koy

13. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    A studio I just did some recording with had an all orginal one that I played. It was a pretty cool bass,nice neck with low action.

14. I actually preffer the Univox Hi-Flyer and Eastwood copies to the original :meh:

Maybe i played a dud Mosrite, but the Univox (70's) and Eastwood (00's) both had a MUCH petter tone. I'm especially wow'd by how well the Univox sounded, for being, IIRC, a plywood bass!

Eastwoods are great though.

15. Those CuNiFe pickups aren't for everybody - and arguably were never a great choice for bass.

My 70s Univox Hi-Flyer has a one-piece solid body (maple? poplar?) - not sure where you got the idea they were all plywood. Those are Matsumoku-produced instruments and are really pretty great!

16. joshwilkesbooth

joshwilkesbooth

Jul 17, 2009
    I'm currently selling a 67 Mosrite bass. Just saying...
    Fixed for clarity.

That guy is a charlatan. Straight up.
    I can not, in good faith, recommend buying a "Mosrite" from him.

17. joshwilkesbooth

joshwilkesbooth

Jul 17, 2009
    Because they are plywood. At least, every single one ever produced except for yours is plywood.

I'm betting yours is plywood too. Do you have a phase one, two or three?

18. mine is a later model with humbuckers - probably solid poplar, actually. It's dinged up enough that I'm sure it's not plywood.

19. joshwilkesbooth

joshwilkesbooth

Jul 17, 2009
    Then you've got a rare, one of a kind guitar there.
    it's plywood. I mean, it HAS to be.