Vintage Music Man Basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hurezeanu, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Hurezeanu

May 13, 2005
    For anyone familiar with the late 70's (1977/78) sound of the old Music Man Stingray and Savre basses, how would you describe the sound???

I'm not sure how I could possibly describe it to a good friend of mine, and seeing as they;re so bloody rare these days, it's quite difficult to let him try on to see how it sounds for himself...

any help is appreciated
  2. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    what country do you live in? if you live in australia, you might as well give up, i haven't seen a SINGLE pre-eb stingray for sale anywhere. its hard enough finding eb stingrays. BUT, try to find some older house of jazz style videos from the 70's, many bassists were usind stingrays which by now are vintage pre-eb. i heard a sabre, and i actually thought it sounded similiar to a stingray, but a little more midrange, and a little bit more nastay ;)
  3. Hurezeanu

May 13, 2005
    no no, I've played the bass before, It's just Im trying to describe it's sound to a buddy at mine, but m at a loss for words...
  4. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    Just have him listen to pretty much any old Chic or Sade song. Bernard Edwards and Paul Denman get what I consider to be the trademark Stingray sound.