1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vintage Mutron III+???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Duke of Prunes, Mar 29, 2002.

1. So I buy a Mutron III on ebay for a pretty decent price thinking that it is indeed the original Mutron III. The description says

This is the legendary Mutron envelope filter, made famous by my hero, Jerry Garcia . That great wah sound, in its sturdy, compact, nearly indestructable metal casing. Comes with original power supply, and these are rare. Has 3 modes, each with its own Peak, Gain, and Filter settings. The Range knob controls the extent of all of these parameters. These babis are built like tanks! I have never heard of one of these units EVER being damaged or malfunctioning in ANY way, and these are vintage effects! High quality and a great price. I can't say enough about the Mutron. This is only part of a huge blowout liquidation sale I'm having, so check out my other auctions for quality gear at rock-bottom no-reserve prices! Buyer pays shipping and I prefer money orders. Thanks!

So it comes in the mail today. I open it up and it's a Mutron III+. Now, I could be wrong, but isn't the III+ the not-as-good-as-the-original reissue? Or is there actually such thing as a vintage III+? Do you think I should try to get my money back or is it worth keeping? Bah!

2. Can you say "rip-off".....? The "+" is actually a nifty filter in it's own right but it sure ain't a original 'Tron III. If that guy sold you a re-issue under the pretense of it being the actual thing he should be reported. Originals have a "gain" knob, re-issues have a "depth" knob. If you paid less than $200 for a "+" I'd be happy....more and I'd be royally pissed.