1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage Nightmare

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Acoop, Jan 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012
  2. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Did they glue the Jazz pickups to the body? No covers, no screws...
    Get rid of that crap and you might only have two small holes that may have been drilled for wiring...

3. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    If it weren't for the bridge pickup, the thing might be salvageable with a new pickguard, but alas...one mod too far.

Sixgunn likes this.
  4. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    LOL....wow

5. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I would rock it. But not for the asking price.

6. The headstock looks like they left it outside!

Clark Dark likes this.
  7. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    No thanks! :)

blkpwdr and Aqualung60 like this.
  8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That bass is halfway to firewood status.

9. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    WT... ????

10. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
  11. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    Oh, Bubbah! You don't even need a close-up of the bridge "route" to see it's butchered. Screwdrivers are not chisels, o.k.? And chisels are not for routing, alright?

12. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    Indeed!

13. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    I love how he opens his sale pitch:

"If you're into vintage instruments you'll love this 1973 Fender Mustang bass."

If you're into vintage instruments you'd likely have a minor stroke viewing what's happened to this poor bass.

14. mp40smg

mp40smg

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    "If you're into vintage instruments you'll love this 1973 Fender Mustang bass. Short scale rosewood fretboard, Sunburst finish w/ flat white pickgaurd, and thumb rest. In mint condition these basses sell between $1,500-$1,800. Pickup modifications and new pots were added before I had acquired this bass and there is some wear on the body and headstock so it's lost some of its original value. Despite that its still a really funky bass and a lot of fun to play. $900 OBO"

"SOME" wear? Like it was left outside in Several hurricanes? And used as a battering ram ..

And that was before Dr's Hack, Chop and Screw performed their vile experiments on it.

Kind of surprised he did not advertise the P'ups as "Exciting factory custom features"

Roberto Nunez and jaybones like this.
  15. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    When I see ads like this, I always wonder if the poster actually believes it is a good price or does he know better and just hoping somebody else will think it is a good price?

Roberto Nunez and LiquidMidnight like this.
  16. mp40smg

mp40smg

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    I have seen a LOT of these Frankensteins over the years. generally the seller will try to gauge how much the prospective buyer knows and then act accordingly.

Generally if the seller knows the customer has a grip they will say something to the effect of " Yeah, tragic. But I bought this sight unseen and I am just trying to get my money out of it".

Or if they feel the customer has no clue. "Ya! This is a super rare custom shop/ factory modification/ modded by famous player, it's like one of 3 EVER MADE, and it was once owned by (insert famous name here)."

Around here in the 70-80s it would be owned either by Joe Perry, J. Giles, Boston or the Cars (and EVERY lefty anything was ALWAYS owned by the Cars).

YMMV.

17. Ben B

Ben B

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I think they are looking for a sucker. I don't think it's only for the vintage stuff either. Even for new equipment, many CL posters post the MSRP to make you think you're getting a deal cause their selling 30% off list.

18. Ben B

Ben B

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    If I could get it for $400, I would probably repair the holes and refinish it in a solid, period correct color. Something tells me this seller wouldn't drop his price.

TMARK and 80jazz like this.
  19. blastoff

blastoff Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2007
    california
    it is Florida...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Sartori, TMARK, Jeff Scott and 5 others like this.
  20. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    So when do you want to meet up so we can check this out? I'd love to see this in person and offer him $500. Even if it's a player, this thing is mangled.

Goatrope likes this.