Vintage or Modern bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Edgar, May 7, 2001.

1. Vintage Bass

10 vote(s)
  2. Modern Bass

25 vote(s)
  3. Both Equally

18 vote(s)
  1. Edgar

Nov 4, 2000
    Montreal, QC, CA
    Is there an other option I should post?
  2. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I love the feel of used or vintage basse, ther'e already broken in and yo can feel the Mojo left by the last player. All my basses are at least 15 years old. I have played some new ones that I love, Infact I love Zoomboys MikeLull an I dig new Rics and new ErnieBalls, but I always buy used and Vintage basses. This is just a simple mans opinion!!
    77 musicman 77 jazz 73 jazz 84 ric 82 stblues
    83 stblues
    I'm working on another ric a 85 blk cherry with blk hdware blk binding. oohhhh sweeeet!
  3. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Well, I switched to moderns for the B string and the versatility active electronics give you. Of course there is always the availability and price of vintage basses issue as well. My '66 Jazz is just a decoration - I ONLY play 5'ers now. My dlx 55 Lakland felt like I had been playing it for 30 years from the minute I got it, so some moderns do feel broken in.
  4. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I am pretty much against the whole Vintage hype. Why pay MORE for OLD stuff that wasn't particularly good even when new? Then, I haven't quite understood collectors of any kind.
    I have no doubt in that the tone of wood improves with age, but $5000 for a less than decent 50-something P-bass (I believe BassNW had one, and amazingly they sold it) is just way over the top.

But as Funkster said: "this is just a simple man's opinion".
  5. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I do buy into the theory that wood improves over age. However, I like the look of exotic wood. There's not too much out there that's old that competes with some outrageous, over the top buckeye top on a Fodera! Plus, I like the sound of modern basses more than vintage. The exception, thus far in my playing, is the overly way expensive '61 Fender Jazz. The few I've come across are so beaten up that I have to close my eyes to appreciate 'em. But, when I do, WOW do they feel fantastic, and have such a nice least the 3 or 4 I've come across, anyway!

But, as a rule, I like modern.
  6. New because I like shiney things.
  7. Because they weren't making Roscoes in the 50's.Ironically,though,a majority of the basses out there are variations on an old theme.There is one vintage collection that I have personally seen and I wouldn't mind using some of those puppies in the studio.
  8. Oh yeah,this just came to my feeble mind:Think about this,the basses we buy today will be considered vintage years from now.Our current instruments might be deemed inferior compared to the technology of the future.(I'm not saying "vintage" basses are inferior,'cause that's definitely a matter of personal taste and opnion.)Who knows until we get there...this should be interesting.
  9. I'm really into broken-in basses..they have a better feel and more interesting tone...but that's just to my ears.
  10. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    For me it's a toss-up. I have generally had a preference for vintage stuff, but in the past couple of years, I've crossed over. One reason, as Oysterman pointed out, is that the prices of vintage stuff is sky-high. Do I get a better deal by buying a new Mike Lull over a vintage Precision? There's a good chance the answer is YES. There have also been some innovations that couldn't be found in vintage basses, like a 2Tek bridge for instance. I don't consider a 2-year-old Hamer to be vintage just yet. At this point, I look at every bass in it's own context. I own a nice vintage Epiphone, but I'd probably drool just as much over the new Gibson SGX.
  11. Edgar

Nov 4, 2000
    Montreal, QC, CA
    I got my own little theory about that "special tone" that vintage gear have (57 P-Bass, 60 J-Bass). In High End audio (Krell, Mark Levinson, MBL, Linn..), a component never sound good out of the box, You have to "burn it" for several hundred hours before earing it's true color (Color might not be the best word but...). Maybe the pots, wiring and pick-ups need this breaking period before it gets really interesting.
  12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yep. No shiney old stuff. Shiney new stuff? Heck Yes. Shiny six string basses!
  13. Here's something I've been wondering for a while. Do people like old Fenders more than new ones because they were made better then? Or is it because they have been broken in? In forty years, will a 2001 Fender sound like the 1961 models do now?
  14. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Another vote for modern. I like active electronics, exotic wood tops, and all that stuff.

I have had the chance to play a couple of old Fenders (60's model J -basses, not sure exact year), and yes, they did feel very nice, but I cannot justify paying that kind of money for something that is about 40 years old, is beat up as hell, and in my opinion, don't sound that great.

But that is just another simple man's opinion.

15. NeoTrotskyist

Apr 2, 2001
    i really don't care when it was made, just as long as it sounds good.
  16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Either. I've had good luck with both. You don't have to pay an arm and a leg for vintage...or more recent high end stuff.

Patience, grasshopper.
  17. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I can appreciate the vintage gear for its collectibility reasons. But to play Id rather have modern gear, I think it sounds better over all, and I love that it has a warranty.

The only vintage guitars we have at the house are a 57 Gretsch Aniversary Model and a 62 Jazz Master.
  18. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I appreciate old stuff....
    But I perfer new stuff.

Grant it, if you buy a p-bass and play it for 20 years, the neck is going to get sleightly warped from palm sweat. It also will most likely get warped to fit your hand. Which in a sense, as was stated before, gives it it's own attitude.

I don't really look at basses as "old vs new" it's more like "what can and can't do what I want"

Although, my vote will have to go for modern.
  19. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000

I tend to feel this will not be the case.

in the past you had like 5 brands and only 3 or so are really part of the vintage craze, anyway less guitars were manufactured back then in comparison to today's multi-instruments per day factories (corona, cor-tek...).
    also, fender and gibson has something like 4-5 successful sought after instruments which haven't changed much through the years while today's manufacturers change their line up yearly.
    I bet someone can think at least one more reason.
  20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Maybe not most of them but some of them will undoubtedly become "vintage" and sought after. Anything old that brings back fond memories is usually collectible