1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vintage owners: How many of you have the original CASES?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fassa Albrecht, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Just wondering how many cases survive from all our vintage owners.

I have my original Shergold case- it weighs a ton!

2. Buddy has a very old Gibson 355td .. hollw electric guitar..and the origional case with it..man that case is made better than most of their guitars are today!

3. I have mine 65 Jazz

4. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Just a BassGuy! Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    I still have my '69 P-Bass case (don't use it though... gig bag) as does my '67 Hagstrom (but that stays at home).

5. KPAX

KPAX Banned

Mar 22, 2005
    I have the origional case for my 74 Rick 4001 (bought it new in 75 when I was 15). The leather endpieces and their stitching has deteriorated some and it's a little banged up but it's intact, the latches all work fine and the interior is great. My wife bought me a very nice modern Rick case for the bass around 5 years ago but I still have that origional case.
    BTW the bass is in great, origional condition except for needing new frets.

6. I guess it's depends on how far back you wanna go to call a bass vintage, but I have the original cases for my '66 Hofner 500/1, '72 Rickenbacker 4001 and '63 Precision. I guess the Precision case is a technicality really, while I do have it and it's the original, it was pancaked in an unfortunate incident many years ago so it's not really usable. I still have it in the attic in hopes that one day I can somehow have it repaired, but as it is my '63 lives in a very nice gig bag.

7. T-Forty

T-Forty Guest

Mar 14, 2008
    I know that in Michigan, the birthplace of the automobile, in order to get vintage plates your car needs to be at least 25 years old.

So using those guidelines my 1983 Peavey T-40 is now considered vintage.

And yes I do have the original case. The middle latch is missing, but it is in otherwise excellent shape.

8. Steveaux

Steveaux Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    '78 Ripper ... in its original wrapper. :rolleyes:

RIPPER_02.

9. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I have my 72 P and 78 Ray cases stashed in the attic, I got them new tolex cases. My 81 Ray is still in it's rare blonde case. I foolishly sold my 69 J case, but a TB'er in the next state has it.

10. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I have original cases for all my basses except my Hayman 40/40. (Shergold's big brother).

11. ReBass

ReBass Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    66 P in the case.

66pbass1.

12. heavychevy

heavychevy

Feb 11, 2008
    Central MA
    '73 Jazz in the case:bassist:

13. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    My 79 T-40 has the original case. It's the Fender'ish black tolex and yellow-green interior one that they only used for a little while, before the plastic Peavey case. It is one of the heaviest cases I've ever lifted.

14. my 1971 EB3 is in its' original gibson case. It is solid!

15. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I have the original case for my 64 Precision. Black Tolex, no logo. One of the latches had been broken for years, so I use a belt around it on one end to hold it shut. It's far from pristine, but it's still plenty functional, and is original to the bass.

Most of the time these days, the old warhorse travels in a gig bag.

16. bassaussie

bassaussie

Oct 6, 2001
    Portugal
    I've got the original cases for my '66 Jazz and '76 T-Bird. Also have the original cases for 2 old Australian Maton basses that I have. Coolest case I've got, though, is an original Silvertone Amp-In-The-Case, with a working tube amp in it. And it sounds awesome.

17. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Commercial User

Mar 7, 2008
    NE United States
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (as of 10/14/09)
    I have a 1964 / 1965 Jazz (Neck from 64 and pots from 65) with the original case. BTW, the 64/65 cases are rare so if any of you have them, keep them...they are black tolex WITHOUT a Fender name / logo on the outside...

18. hills1234

hills1234

May 6, 2007
    NZ
    Hey Fassa ... not trying to hijack the thread, but could you post some pics of your original case?

I've been trying to find out what sort of case was original with the Marathon. They were always an optional extra, not stock with the instruments, apparently. But the ones Shergold supplied were made in Essex, and were "just a square box covered in rexine with a smart red lining with a box inside for bits and pieces and neck holder and strap,two locks a handle corner protectors" according to founder Norm Houlder. I picked up an alleged original case recently on eBay (see pic) but it looks a bit different. I'd be really interested to see what yours looks like. Thanks.

19. hills1234

hills1234

May 6, 2007
    NZ
    ... And getting back on topic - here's my 76 Rick in its still functional case. A bit of rust on the locks but otherwise intact.

20. I still have the original case for my 65 Jazz, but I don't use it. The leather on the ends was still in good shape- until after I used the case a few times. I was able to get one of the tweed Fender cases and I've used that- and the 65 black tolex case sits on a rack holding concert posters.