1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage P bass body thickness?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jaminjamesp, Oct 4, 2017.

1. jaminjamesp

jaminjamesp

Feb 21, 2016
    I have a road worn Jazz and I know the body is 1/8th thinner than the modern Jazz bass, which I've read is vintage correct. Is the same true for the P bass? I've looked around online and can't really find any information about the body thicknesses of older P basses.

I really like the slightly thinner body of my Road Worn Jazz and would like the same in a P bass.

Also, if the body was thinner on the vintage Precisions, do all the RI bodies follow that dimension? I found a 62 RI made in Japan body but can't find any info about the body dimensions.

2. It may depend on what you call vintage.
    My '66 is 1 1/2 inches.

Linnin likes this.
  3. jaminjamesp

jaminjamesp

Feb 21, 2016
    I guess you’re right. I see posts on Reverb selling vintage guitars from the 90s. I was playing little league in the 90s. I don’t feel vintage yet!

But, I did mean 60s era. Thanks for weighing in!

4. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Fender Japan only seemed to do whatever they wanted as long as it looked like xx from 20 feet away.
    My MIJ reissue jazzes never matched in dimensions to my real US ones.

Randy Ward likes this.
  5. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    My Fullerton made '76 is also 1 1/2 inches as is my 2017 American Professional. The bodies are as close to identical as factory made wooden objects can be.

6. Bikeguy57

Bikeguy57 Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Asheville NC
    The Warmoth body I just orderd is WAY thicker than my MIM Roadworn Precision.

7. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    A lot of aftermarket Fender bodies are closer to 1-3/4". (too thick/heavy) Vintage, some Squiers and the Road Worn series are 1.5", which is the way to go.

Templar likes this.