1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vintage P-Bass Colours

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SeedyBloke, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Hey all.

I really want to get myself a Fender P-Bass but I find the standard colours a bit boring. I would like to buy a P that looks more like a vintage fender without forking out on one of their custom vintage models which cost loads more.

I think the best thing to do would be to buy a standard american p bass and replace the pickguard with a nice vintage looking one. Whats a good colour combo to achieve this? Eg. Sunburst body with gold anodised pickguard. My fave looking P Bass is the Butterscotch body with black anodised pickguard but butterscotch is not one of the standard colours. doh!

Any ideas or websites that would help? I need some inspiration!

2. Sunburst with a tortise shell pickguard, blonde with a black pickguard and white or "transparent white" with a gold pickguard are all vintage combinations.

3. If you plan on forking over around $800 for a new MIA Fender P bass, only to change things on it, why not get a Warmoth built to your specs? It will cost about the same, and if you do some research or build it your self with Warmoth parts, you can save a lot.

4. I've not heard of Warmoth before. Are they American? I'll check them out. Thanks.

ps. how difficult is it to make your own bass from parts. I think i could confidently change a pickguard but not sure about building from scratch!

5. Thanks. This is the kind of website I could spend all day on! What is the general build quality of Warmoth parts like?

6. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001