Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vintage P Bass or Junk?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tunaman, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    This store has a supposedly 1978 P Bass which sounds fantastic. Neck is original but after that... suspect. The fit between the neck & the body has pretty large gaps, the neck is rounded but the body isn't kinda thing. Some weird new red paint, new screws, not original bridge nor pickups...
    For 900!!
    I want the bass, it sounds awesome, its heavy as hell, ugly as hell too.
    Is this a good price or what should I ask for it. Is 600 a reasonable offer from my end?
    Save me a few hundred bucks!

2. i'm not sure what would be a good offer but, IMO, $900 is way too much...

3. Bassliner

Bassliner

Mar 15, 2005
    Rotterdam
    Only a crazy man would pay $900 for a '78 P-bass which is in questionable condition! It's not a Jazz :p
    No seriously, I don't know. Do research, check the dates, check all the "checkpoints".
    Then you have solid grounds to make an offer to the owner. Everything that you can complain about; Do!
    '78 isn't really a good year. I don't know how it's with P basses, but the Jazzes are usually twice as heavy as the ones before and after, and not very consistent in quality...

Just check it out and pay what you think you should pay!

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If it really is a '78 with original body and pickup then that price is OK, a little high due to condition.

late 70s Ps are great!

5. I have a '78 P bass. I think I got an exceptionally great deal at $600. The thing is a tank, but it's work every pound. It sounds great, the neck is smooth as babys butt, and it's an all-around great find. I got mine with all original hardware and the OG pickups and case. Again it's a great bass, but this one sounds a littly fishy for the price. I would try to barter a little if you can. If you do buy it, you'll love it forever! Good Luck!

6. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Wouldn't budge on the price, says he paid over 600 for it... I just laughed & said thats too bad you over paid :)
    Open holes, new screws, new p\u, big gaps Whatever...
    Bass sounds great but ya can't be a sucker.
    If someone comes across one of those old heavy Ps let me know

7. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If you dig the sound and playability, I'd say that is by far more important than anything you mentioned there. My $0.02. Not ALL '78s play and sound good.