1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vintage P Bass Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NelsonL, Jul 31, 2012.

1. NelsonL

NelsonL

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Hi TB'rs!

I've come across a 64P that is in its original finish but has had some touchups done to it - it isn't an ugly touchup, but it's obviously there. Although it's only the backside of the bass, I was wondering if this considerably devalues the bass?

Thank you for shedding some light on this!

IMG_0629.

2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    De-valued considerably? Prolly not.
    I'd like to see some pics of the entire instrument tho..

3. Bongokid

Bongokid

Sep 28, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Probably a little but not much. Lets see the front of the bass to see if the 'touch up" crept over that way. A P bass enthusiast shouldn't scold the owner too much from what I can see.

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    it just looks worn thru to me, unless that black are has been oversprayed. any touch-ups will devalue it but it doesn't look like it's necessarily been touched up to me from that pic.

5. Imagine Robert De Niro saying this, "it will devalue it a little bit."

6. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    Are you buying it to love it and play it, or to sell it?

It's value is what you are willing to pay for it, if I was buying it I'd probably want to make sure the price reflects that the bass has had some touch up's

Also I've heard people talk about removing entire re-sprays back to the original color, seems crazy but apparently it can be done in some cases.
    If that is actually true I would think a simple touch up would be a breeze to deal with if the need were ever to arise.

There's also the approach of just sand the damn spot back to looking naturally worn thin.
    I wouldn't go nuts with it, but if for instance I had a bass with a dime sized even a silver dollar sized touch up spot and it was killing the value considerably and removing it professionally was not an option and it bothered me.
    Technically a worn spot is not as value damaging as a wear spot.
    I'd probably just lightly with VERY VERY fine grit paper sand it away.
    I would,,,,, I can't stress that enough <I would> that is not by any means advice or even a reasonable suggestion.
    Just thinking out loud.

If it was mine I'd certainly consider it depending heavily on the touch up's location.

If at any point you do decide to remove the touched up area, use a black light to view the area before you start anything.
    The chemicals in old Nitro paint will turn dark, as opposed to newer stuff (even nitro) will not react the same.
    Under a black light the touched up area should be very obvious when compared with the rest of the paint. This was told and showed to me by the guys at Gruhn's.
    He handed me the neck to a late 50's Les Paul painted Black and asked if I could spot the repair, me wanting to find it and prove I had a good eye, I tried VERY hard to spot it.
    After about 5 minutes of straining my eyes trying to spot it I had no choice but to cave in.
    He cut the lights and turned on the black light and it jumped out like a jack in the box.
    One huge crack right down the center of the neck, VERY well repaired. Whoever fixed it had some damn talent. You could not see it at all in regular light, perfect in every way. And color matched to perfection.

What that repair man couldn't do was remove the modern chemicals in today's paint.
    I may not have explained the reasoning properly but none the less, if you need it all gone use a black light before and after to make sure it's gone you should be able to see an obvious difference.

Edit: I should add that color makes a difference on how it reacts to the black light.
    Some will turn very dark Others will react different, either way your touched up area should stand out.

7. NelsonL

NelsonL

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Thank you everyone for sharing your insights!

Although I might be romantic about the bass and say I want it to love and play till death do us part, the reality of forking out a larger amount for a vintage fender is that should things not work out - there won't be an extreme loss in value or perhaps even a profit. I apologize if this offends anyone more passionate about these basses than I.

Back to the main subject!

I guess the question more simply put is that if you were a collector (which I'm sure many TBr's here are!), would you look at this touch-up job and hurl with disgust? Or would it be something worth turning a blind-eye? (Two extreme reactions here!)

Perhaps it's harder to see from the pictures, but the touch-up parts were pretty obvious to the naked eye - in the person anyway! Here are some additional pictures of the bass. From the first and third picture, perhaps it shows better the difference between the touch-up and the original finish.

Once again, thank you for all your generosity with your time to look this over!

IMG_0626.

IMG_0625.

IMG_0622.

8. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    again. where is the 'touch-up' job that you're referring to? it looks completely original to me.

9. To me it looks like some of the black areas were touched up...either over-spray or a marker maybe....hard to tell though.

10. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    John look at the wear in the body contour, the wear obviously goes above the black line.
    That black shouldn't be there.

11. NelsonL

NelsonL

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Just to point out:

For-JohnK.

For-Johnk2.

12. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    I'm curious why they decided to even do it, very strange.

It's obvious that the wear was there when it was done, but they only painted the black outline?????

OP can you tell how much of the black is original and not?

If its just that section I'd imagine getting it back to original would not be very hard at all.
    Especially considering its over a section already beat up.

13. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    Now I can see the front line very well where I couldn't before at all.
    I still think you could easily return this to original with very little effort.

14. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    okay. that's where i thought it was. IMO, a little 4000-6000 grit micro mesh and some careful sanding and it could be pretty easily removed.

15. KTFunkAlive

KTFunkAlive

Nov 28, 2007
    Yeah, it looks like someone tried to fix up the black a bit.

16. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    Dats what I'm screamin, I mean on most of it it's all messed up under the black anyway, on the front just blend until your through that layer VERY LIGHT and then buff that section out if so desired.
    (by hand)

17. NelsonL

NelsonL

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston, MA
    I believe this quick fix was done way way ago.

Most of the black on this bass is original, except for that spot (which I can't tell how much of the original is still under it). Unfortunately, there are also other minor spots (about the size of a quarter) under the bass that has been touched up. But if it is removable, without high risk of damaging the original finish under it - I am feeling alot better about making this move.

Thank you all!