Vintage P-bass side-dot dilemma

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tubster, Oct 26, 2004.

1. tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    My '63 P-bass side dots are almost invisible but I NEED side dots (know I shouldn't by now!!) not LED's or anything but visible guides.

'63 is a refin but I love it and like playing it. Should I get dots added or is this some kind of sacrilege? Myybe someone has ideas for something workable that it is not permanent?

Grateful for any help on this one - it is my favorite bass but in most club and gig situations, just cannot use it.

2. maybe you could put some drops of flurescent or really bright nail polish on the side dots it would make them more visible and you can always scratch to remove it if you don't like it.

3. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Use liquid paper. It will come off when needed and you can make the markers as big as you need. It worked for me.
  4. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    the guitar player in my old jazz band used those little sticky foil stars on his vintage gretsch. swore by them. When he sold it, he was able to get the gunk from them off real easily.
  5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    So...what's wrong with needing side dots?

Waxcomb's suggestion is good stuff. Give it a try if it's a rosewood board...maple, use dark nail polish. Make it pretty with sparkly blue!
  6. tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Ok, so it's a trip to Walgreens and Office Depot first thing.

I will definitely start with the wite-out and then move to a fluorescent green varnish if need be.

Thanks a bunch!

Feb 28, 2004
    I bought a right handed acoustic bass and play left handed. After switching the nut my next dillemma was how to put the reference dots on (they were now on the bottom of the neck)
    After some trial and error, I found that Pentel makes a permanent white paint pen. You can get these at art supply stores. Make sure you get the fine point.(model 100W S)
  8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I take paper labels (I use leftover ones that came with cassettes), cut them into tiny squares and stick 'em on. Over time they fall off and I put new ones on.
  9. tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Thanks for all the tips.

Looked for the Pentel but could not find one.

Bought a Sharpie silver marker (for use on dark surfaces). Wow, it is great and not at all over the top as I had feared.

Tonight how well it works.