1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage P p.u. For 5 String

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pbasswil, Sep 27, 2009.

1. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    Are there any 5-string P-bass pickups that cop an authentic vintage Fender-y P-bass tone? I've heard that even Fender P5s don't nail that sound.

I have the impression that most of what's available (and there's not so many P p.u.s for 5 str) has that modern scoopy/smiley response curve built in.
    I'm kinda interested in mids (lately I'm into George Porter Jr.); but I want the low B, to cover all kinds of projects.

Sorry if I'm covering old territory; I've done some poking around the archives, but it's hard to narrow a search when one of the terms is the single letter "P".

- Peter

2. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    Anybody? Do any of the P shaped pickups available for 5 string stay pretty true to vintage Fender Precision tone?

Thanks in advance,

- peter wilson

3. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    What type of P5 are you playing? Personally I love the pickup Jimmy Coppolo is using in the Alleva-Coppolo KBP5 but he makes those in house. I don't think he sells them seperately.

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    A 4 string p-bass pickup with 8 poles will cover 5 stings quite nicely. You can therefore use pretty much any p-bass pickup on a 5 string bass.

pj5%20020.

bass%20008.

p-bass5%20002.

F5%20048.

5. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I'm not sure that's the perfect route to go if you want a really even tone accross all the strings I'd suggest a 10 pole piece.

Attached Files:

6. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    Thanks for the interesting replies, you guys.

peterpalmieri wrote: >What type of P5 are you playing?<

I don't have one, I'm looking to get one, but wanted to know what my options were if the pickups that come with it aren't to my taste.
    As it turns out, I'm now looking to buy a used one that has a custom-wound Basslines P in it. I'll see how I like that, and if I don't, I'll consider Aero, Lindy Fralin, and DiMarzio.

Cheers fellahs,

-- Peter

7. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    I'm using an Alleva Coppolo KPB-5. Absolutely even from string to string and VERY close to the sound of a vintage P-bass (my friend's '63 for comparison) even on the low B.

Dan K.

8. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    Dan Knowlton: >I'm using an Alleva Coppolo KPB-5. Absolutely even from string to string and VERY close to the sound of a vintage P-bass (my friend's '63 for comparison) even on the low B.<

I don't doubt it, Dan, I've never heard anything but swooning by anyone who's played an A.C. :^}
    However, within my more modest budget, I've find a very promising used boutique 5 from a very reputable builder; the transaction is under way. I'll post a review once it arrives.

Cheers,

-- pw

9. blondmix3

blondmix3 Supporting Member

May 30, 2007
    Evansville, Indiana
    I LOVE the tone I get out of my Nordstrand NP5. Admittedly, don't have a ton of experience with vintage P's, but it sits SOOOO perfectly in the mix every time....
    bg5full.

10. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I love seeing that bass.
    Im also getting a NP5 put in my DJ5 in a couple of weeks and im really hoping ill get that P thump back.

To the OP. I have a Fender P5 and im very happy with the tone. It sounds like a P should sound although im not experienced enough to say form what era. Certainly it does the job for me.

11. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Sweet Baby Jebus!

12. pbasswil

pbasswil

Feb 17, 2008
    Oh cool, this thread is still alive. :^}

I don't know if it's from the photography (digital "white balance"), but that Lakland looks to be an awful pretty shade of yellow stain. Thumbs way up.

I've heard great stuff about Nordstrand p.u.'s, but I've also heard from more than one source that the NP5 sounds different than the NP4 -- anybody confirm that?

At any rate, I've got a Mike Lull PJ5 with Lull's custom Seymour Duncans, en route to me. Can't wait. I'll post a review on the Lull thread in a week or two.

Ciao folks,

Peter W

13. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I'm in the same situation and have the same question as the OP.
    So I give this a bump and ask, if there are any additional options meanwhile?
    Thanks!

14. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    The Aguilar 5 string P pickup is really nice but usually requires some routing since both pickup halves are the same size.

Matthias likes this.