Vintage P (sound) for under $1k

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OrionManMatt, May 27, 2004.

1. OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    A friend of mine is in the market for another bass. Currently he owns a Warwick Thumb 6, played through a Goliath and an SWR head (can't recall). He plays in a Christian rock/alternative band and would like to have a vintage sound for certain songs and for a good backup.

^ For reference ^

The question is:

Is it possible to get the vintage sound (or a good vintage P) for under $1,000?
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    fender??? MIJ reissue maybe

how about a G&L?
  3. OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

5. Thats a PJ with a Jazz neck (1 1/2" at the nut) they used to make a model with a single split coil and 1 3/4" at the nut neck but I don't think that they still make that one.
  6. OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    It's called an SP-1.

What about throwing a Sadowsky pre-amp in it?
  7. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I just bought a used skyline Bob Glaub for 625$ shipped.Sure,its ash not alder but for that price? Close enough (still looking for a usa alder though).

We'll see how she does next week :cool:

8. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    the G&L 2000 is great, you can get that Pish sound ( not quite, but really phat! ) coil tapping, active/passive, high end boost

my friend has a 2000 Fretless with a aguilar pre amp in it, sounds incredibly, so much fwamp its crazy, and still can go to a super nice deep slap tone.

9. ilikepie

Jul 23, 2003
    I payed $1071 (new) for my MIA '62 RI p bass earlier this year...not under $1K but close
  10. OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Alright so that's two counts for the Bob Glaub. Any reason why it's been suggested? I've never heard it...*prepares for a lashing*...or of him...
  11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The Lakland Bob Glaub is a "vintage P" style bass. The imported Skyline version is widely available for $700 or so (the US version is over $2K new). I would assume the recommendation is because folks think this is closer to a vintage Fender than actually buying, well, a Fender :rolleyes:

Bob himself is an LA session player.
  12. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Yeah, here:

That's obviously about as vintage a Fender sound as you're going to get. And you won't beat that price (US$469, shipped). Great discount on a very well-made bass, though there was no such production color scheme prior to 1954 and this bass has a reproduction 1955 pickup.
  13. the skyline bob glaub is a very well made bass and the lindy fralin pickups really nail the vintage 60's p bass tone.

another option would be to get a fender USA P bass and replace the pickups with some lindy fralins or fender 62' re-issue pickups.
  14. tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Why pay a fortune for the sound?

G&L L-1000

G&L LB-100

Both discontinued and both great - you could get the pair for far less than a grand!

or a good P bass!!

Good luck!
  15. OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Thank you all so much for all the insight you've poured into this. I went to GC today and I must say, I'm glad my friend Mike is taking over the bass section there. The first things I noticed were:

Used Alembic
    '78 MIA-P
    (2) MIA-J Mark Miller; 1 white/black; 1 w/ a push-pull setup (great, great tone)
    (2) Pedulla Rapture's

Honestly though, the bass that most impressed me was a used MIA "replacement parts" (?) Fender P. I have no idea about the history of this bass or anything like that. Everything about it just screamed to be played. The depth was just what you would expect and it had a nice slap tone to it as well. $749 listed though.

For reference, it was played through an Ampeg SVT-4 Pro set flat with a slight boost around 1k.

I'm emailing him this thread so once again, thanks for all the suggestions so far.

On a side note: I did not play the Alembic. I was too afraid of dropping it. The Ampegs were in the way and I couldn't quite reach it without feeling uncomfortable about dropping $3500 onto a concrete, carpet-covered floor. Ouch!
  16. Last year I managed to find an all-original 1977 Precision with a fabulous vintage tone right here (Netherlands) for under $1000, which I think should be alot easier over there (USA). Anyway, good luck! :)
  17. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Check E-Bay.
    I just got a 1978- Dakota Red precision, 100% original.
    Maple neck and fingerboard.
    Black pickguard.
    Plays and sounds great.
  18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you just want the P-bass sound and not necessarily the look, the G&L Tribute comes amazingly close to a good P-bass sound. This is one incredibly versatile and well made bass. I've owned basses that cost $1200-1300 that weren't as nice. Although I still like them, I'm glad I didn't get a MM SUB. :cool:
  19. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    the best way to get a P Bass sound, in my experience, is to buy a Fender P Bass. my Fender American Series P Bass sounds and plays great. no need to change pickups