1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vintage PBass in shambles

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jmbstudios, Aug 7, 2012.

1. jmbstudios

jmbstudios

Dec 4, 2001
    South AZ
    I walked into a local pawn shop and saw a 1971 PBass hanging on the wall.

I took it down to check it out and found that the body had been sanded and done in thick crappy clear coat (really bad job). The neck was done in the same crapy thick clear coat. The headstock was a brown tint in the same crappy clear. The Fender logo was still original. Neck date of Feb. 71.
    Newer pickup. Newer electronics. Newer crappy pickguard. replaced neck plate (plain).
    The case has major water damage.

Someone really did a terrible job on this thing. This thing would need a total restoration to get it back to anything close to original.

What do you think would be a decent offer on this knowing that it would need to be sent off and totally redone?

Here are the only pics he has. pics suck and look way better than what it is in person.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. PostFusion

PostFusion

Aug 2, 2012
    Sounds really bad from here, especially with the upgraded bits.
    To put a price on it, I really don't know.

Is it playable?

Pawn Shops are pretty good at handing out practically broken guitars for around one hundred bucks.

3. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Having resurrected a couple of oldies that looked like they had been used to shovel manure, assuming the neck/trussrod/frets are OK, this one's only good to completely strip and refin, then put your preferred electronics, guard, hardware in. I'd strip and sand all but the face of the headstock. Depending on the clearcoat that was used on it, it is probably feasible to carefully sand it smooth, avoiding sanding through the decal and reshoot in a decent clearcoat. The body's alder, and not particularly pretty for a clearcoat approach, so I'd paint it a Fender-appropriate color. If the fingerboard is crapped up with the cheesy refin (what are people thinking when they pick up a brush or rattle can?), it may be the biggest challenge to clean up, but still doable if you like raising old stuff from the dead.
    I wouldn't pay more than $150, $250 if it feels like a player. Of course, $75 or $100 would be appropriate opening bids if you want it (and the work that goes with it). Bottom line, I doubt the results would be worth the money it would cost to have a professional strip and refin. But if you did the work yourself, it could be fun and possibly, just possibly, get you a cool result.

4. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    Assuming those components are original, the parts alone, including tuners, pots, pups, pickguard, knobs, neck, bridge cover, etc. have value and so are easily worth several hundred. You could parcel this bass out on ebay and make some profit.

5. You guys talk as if we're in 1975....

No pawn shop in my area would sell a picture of a vintage Fender, let alone a real one (trashed and all) for close to $100. Blame eBay and the internet. I'm betting they won't let it go for less than $500.

But good luck and i hope you can pick it up for a steal....

6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    +1 and I am sure most Pawn shops know this. What were they asking?

7. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    Pawn shops generally think every Fender or Gibson they have is worth a fortune. You can still get deals on off-brands they may not be familiar with from time to time.

Is the decal missing the Patent numbers? Just as an FYI, some old Fender headstocks do tend to brown quicker on the headstock face than they do on the rest of the neck. I'm not sure why, but you see it from time to time.

8. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Sad state for a P bass

9. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Probably true. Someone will walk through the door and think "Wow! A vintage Fender for only $500!?" and buy it. And the shop knows that.

Unless this bass can be had for $250 or less, it's a loser. Refinishing both the neck and body will be expensive, and finding the correct vintage parts will be time consuming and expensive. And in the end what have you got? A refinished instrument that's worth significantly less than an original, no matter how nice it ends up looking. Pass on this.

10. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    I dunno... if you are looking for something to resell it is not worth much, but if you are good with a spray can and stripper, it might end up a really nice player.

When I think trashed, I think of extra routes and pieces sawed off, but the body, underneath all of the finish looks to be intact.

11. What is the current asking price?

12. jmbstudios

jmbstudios

Dec 4, 2001
    South AZ
    There are no routes. The neck, tuners, and body and bridge are original. The clear coat is thick all over (neck and.body).
    It will need a complete strip down and refin. And new parts. I didn't get to check the truss rod but the action wasn't too bad.

He is asking $450 for it. I offered 200 and he laughed. So I left.

13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Eh. You'd probably do ok at 500$. But by the time you take care of all the 'problems' you're going to spend as much as you would for a decent refin 71 P. Stripping crappy poly and quality finish work doesn't come cheap. Nor do all original 70's parts if you want them.

14. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    Just noticed... pickguard is not an original, so other parts might not be as well. Unless it has mostly stock parts, you are smart to walk.

15. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Do the math: Quality refin of neck and body - $600. Period correct pickups, pots and wiring - $500. Vintage neckplate - $50. Quality replacement pickguard - $50. So you're at $1,200 BEFORE you factor in the purchase price of the bass itself.

Say you pay $500 for the bass. Now you're into this thing for $1,700, and at the end of the day, the value of the bass will only be $1,400 on a GOOD day. And what does a nice '71 Precision run these days? $2grand?? Save yourself some trouble and buy an original, unmolested instrument.

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    2 grand would be a low ball. I sold my 73 in original yet fairly worn condition for $2500, and did so quickly.

17. jmbstudios

jmbstudios

Dec 4, 2001
    South AZ
    I am shocked that someone hasn't gone in and been wowed by a vintage PBass and slapped down the $450. The guy talks it up like no one has a clue.
    He has had it in the shop for a few weeks now and it just sits.

If I bought this thing there is no way I could do the job on it. It would be sent off. I probably would not worry about getting it like an original. Just a nice refin.

I play my gear and don't want to worry about dings or perfection. This would be a player.

18. Levin S

Levin S

Apr 21, 2007
    Charlotte N.C.
    I'd buy it and play the heck outta it! Also, you never know, you may be awesome at refin work, you just haven't tried :)

19. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Was it recently? This '71 P in superb shape w/OHSC sold for just under $2,500 yesterday.

20. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    He will get $450 for it no problem. When I see something like that all I can think of is to paint it purple and play the dickens out of it.

I'm just wondering if it was stolen at one point... bad refin, missing neckplate? (Where the serial number would have been.)