1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Vintage Peavey T-20 Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by friskinator, Dec 28, 2015.

1. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Price:
    Strings:
    Up for sale is a vintage Peavey T-20 bass guitar. Made in the USA and in good condition for its age. I recently completed a rehab project on this one (documented here), and now it looks good, plays great, and is ready to rock for many years to come.

The original owner sanded off the body's clear coat, so I did a Tru-Oil refinish, then had a pro setup done. All the hardware is original except for the bridge saddles, pickguard screws and tuner mounting screws. The originals were rusted out and unusable, so I replaced them with new ones from AllParts. The pickup is a DiMarzio Model J. Not original, but it sounds great.

The neck is overall in great shape. Some nicks and dings here and there, but nothing major. The upper frets are a bit worn, but it still plays well with the pro setup. I originally didn't have the truss rod cover, but an awesome TB member sent me one. It was unfortunately cracked in shipping, but I repaired it with super glue and it seems to be holding up. It's not in the pics, but it's installed now. The nut measures 1.75"

A lot of these early Peaveys were boat anchors, but this one is lightweight at 8 lbs, 9.6 oz. The serial dates it to 1982.

Asking $200 shipped via PayPal in the CONUS. Will ship in generic gig bag. No trades. These frequently sell for more, but I've reduced the price due to the mods and lack of original case. It's still a great USA-made vintage bass and a killer buy for the money, so don't hesitate! I can also arrange a cash deal for anyone in the metro Atlanta area.

IMG_1515.JPG IMG_1518.JPG IMG_1514.JPG IMG_1509.JPG IMG_1512.JPG IMG_1511.JPG IMG_1494.JPG

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  2. MarkA

MarkA *** Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Interesting -- I'm set for fours, but am curious about this. How's that angled J sound relative to a split P? What's the neck profile like (P, J, something else)?

Neat looking instrument. Good luck with the sale!

3. Timmy-Watts

Timmy-Watts Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'm also curious about the tonal flavor of this. Everything Peavey that I've ever tried has been killer, and priced below the quality it brings. Very tempting! Any chance of any sound clips?

4. friskinator

Apr 5, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I'll see if I can get some clips up, but the single J sounds pretty good on its own. Regarding the neck, it's definitely more of a P profile, but a bit slimmer than a traditional P.

5. Ed P

Ed P

Aug 4, 2007
    Do you know the scale length?

6. friskinator

Apr 5, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    It's 34"

7. Ed P

Ed P

Aug 4, 2007
    I believe I have an extra truss rod cover. If you'd like it I would be happy to send it to you free of charge.

dusterdan likes this.
  8. friskinator

Apr 5, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Yes, that would be great! I'll send you a PM with my address.