Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vintage Preamp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Is there a preamp out there that gives your bass a bit of that vintage sound?

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Vintage as in...Fender Bassman? Ampeg Fliptop? Ampeg SVT? Marshall? Vox? Acoustic? What kinda tone are you looking for? There's some great equipment out there that can do just about anything and everything.

3. I had planned on getting a Sadowsky stomp box, but I'm wondering if there are bass preamps that give your bass a hint of vintage tone.

Vintage as in..hell..uh..old J-Bass type vintage.

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Hmm...I don't know of anything that gives you a vintage bass kinda tone...there are things that'll help you get a vintage amp kinda tone, but for a Vintage J sound, I'd say switch out your pickups to some Fralins or Fender CS or something like that.

5. Oh alright, thanks anyway. I was hoping to do it without swapping out the EMG's.

Are any of those Vintage Distortion boxes worth the $$?

6. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    With EMG's, you'll have a tough time trying to re-create any sort of "vintage" sound.

But try to be more specific, what kind of "vintage" are you looking for? When you mention vintage jazz bass, do you mean like Jaco or like Joe Osborn (two players who had very similar basses, but whose sound have oceans between them)?

Maybe you just want a fatter, boomier sound, which easily can be achieved with some eq tweakin'? Or Maybe you'll love your present set-up if you try flatwounds?

7. No no, I play metal. I need my roundwounds.

I just wanted to give my tone a hint of vintage ...tone. Not full out Jaco-vintage, just a bit of it.

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

A vintage sound means absolutely nothing.
    I think you're after a tubey overdrive sound.
    Some pedals like the TubeWorks Blue Tube, Fulltone BassDrive or SanSamp BassDriver would probably help a lot.