1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Vintage Precision Bass (Real or Fake)?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Antonio Leon, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Antonio Leon

Antonio Leon

Apr 4, 2015
    Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    What is the seller claiming as to year, and what is original?

3. Antonio Leon

Antonio Leon

Apr 4, 2015
    He doesn't know much either, he got it at a pawn shop in LA. He only knows that the pickguard is not the original and you can tell because it's missing the screw holes for the pickup plate and thump rest.

He also thinks is a 77' but only judging by the serial number on the headstock- The problem is that it doesn't say anything on the neck heel or the body and is all scratched off.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  4. mcarp555

mcarp555 Guest

Jul 14, 2013
    I don't see anything obviously fake about it, so I'd say it's either legit or a pretty close copy. The only discrepancy is that the decal seems positioned a little too far away from the edge of the headstock, but not abnormally so.

5. Everything except the pickguard and potmeters check out for a 1978 P-bass.

6. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    The string alignment is pretty out of whack too, that's a bit weird. Has the bridge been relocated slightly to the treble side of the bass? It doesn't appear to be, based on the location of the bridge cover holes, but something's wiggy there...

Spidey2112 likes this.
  7. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    I looks like a real P-bass, but quite possibly with the original finished stripped off and re-lacquered.

8. primusfan1989

primusfan1989

Jan 17, 2005
    new jersey
  9. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Maybe it's the pic, or lighting, but... 'Fender' logo looks worn, and 'Precision Bass' logo looks brand new...

10. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Looks like there's a gap on the bass side of the neck pocket...

... deja vu? :laugh:.

Beej likes this.
  11. The logo sometimes sat that high... Best example: the Jazz from Miller:

marcus-miller.jpg

Pbassmanca likes this.
  12. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    I don't see anything special about that bass whether it is a genuine vintage or not.

flojob, SJan3 and fretter like this.
  13. Ridefar

Ridefar

Oct 5, 2017
    20170913_182817.jpg If you contact Michael Roberts, Senior Consumer Relations Representative at Fender, and ask him to help you with ID, he might be very helpful. He helped me identify a rare Kahler "Claw" bridge I have on my 74 Jazz Deluxe.

Pbassmanca, moonshinegtrs and FenderB like this.
  14. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    Significant gap in the neck pocket on the E side. Probalby why the strings are out of alignment down at the end of the neck.

Body shape does not look right to me, but that maybe due to excessive sanding. Wood suggests the body was a solid color being multi-part and not matched well.

Has the screw hole for the thumb rest that is covered by the pickguard. Obviously, the pickguard is wrong. Wire is wrong and so are the pots.

Neck looks to be correct, but has a few warning signs: missing a couple of stampings on the heel that don't appear in the photos, and the string retainer to logo relationship seems off too much, but QA was an issue back then.

Looks not just worn, but well trashed to me. I would not pay much for it. I suspect that either the body or the neck is not original to that guitar. The neck to body fit is horrible.

Maybe somebody tried an aborted attempt at being a luthier with it?

Like I said, well trashed. I would not pay much, certainly less than a MIM in good condition that plays well. Well less than a good, vintage MIJ/CIJ pbass.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    Pbassmanca and flojob like this.
  15. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Inactive Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    Not to derail the thread but could you post a picture of your bass and more specifically the bridge?

I think Watt had one of these on a Tele bass...

I've always wanted one, I remember seeing one years ago and wondering what the hell it was.

Moonshine :bassist:

16. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Man it's a sad day if they are going that far to counterfeit a '77.

17. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    The buckle rash on the back looks like it may be developing an abscess. There are a lot more attractive 70's P basses out there, IMO.

18. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    That's just nasty

SJan3 likes this.
  19. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    The body might be real, but the neck sure isn't. A rosewood fret board shouldn't have the skunk stripe on the back. It's as simple as that. The logo is also not placed correctly.

design and Amano like this.
  20. ScottfromCalgary

ScottfromCalgary

May 10, 2015
    Calgary
    Fake Fender written all over it. The comment above regarding the skunk stripe is the dead giveaway. The wiring, and pots are not original (at best) and the neck gap is excessive even for this era of fenders. This would definitely be a ‘pass’ for me unless it was less than $100.

Pbassmanca and design like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021