1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vintage Radius Fret Buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Red Planet, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I have searched but all I can find is a gazillian posts on the same subject.

Anyone have any magic tricks for getting less fret buzz from a vintage radius 4 string bass? I have several basses (51-53 P Bass & Stingray Classic both with Maple boards) that buzz way more than my more modern (slightly flatter) basses.

I'm using DR Low Rider strings, have plenty of relief, and play a fairly high action (nothing drastic).

I play finger style only but I have a pretty aggressive attack (not all the time). Sometimes the buzz on my rounder fretboards just drives me insane.

Any search help would be appreciated as well.

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    The radius of the fretboard doesn't really affect whether your bass buzzes or not. What really matters is how true the fingerboard is and how level the frets are. A fret level & dress should work wonders.

3. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Does the bridge saddle under-string radius match the fingerboard radius? Also, be sure to check for high/low frets, particularly if its only buzzing on certain notes!

4. The radius of the fretboard DOES affect fret buzz -

This is usually only a problem when bending strings into the "taller" area of the board

If not bending notes, then I agree with testing1two

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    right; fretboard radius should only affect things with heavy bending; not so much "fret-buzz" as the note "choking" when bent, due to the string getting pushed "over the hill" and down the other side.

buzz issues are about setup in general, and the quality of the fretwork in particular.

6. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Should be carved on a stone where everyone can read it.

7. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Ditto.