1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vintage,really?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmanrocke, Mar 13, 2018.

1. So I have renewed my relationship with Jazz Basses. They just seem to work better for me then anything else. I was window shopping Guitar Center's used inventory and came accross an 80's Fullerton reissue '62 Jazz. It was of course listed as a "Vintage" instrument. While I guess it technically is vintage, it just seems wrong to call a remake of an earlier model vintage.

2. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    It's just a term and it helps sell. Btw., that Fullerton is quite a bit older now than a real 62 Jazz Bass was in 1982.

3. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    The difference is just the price :D

"Vintage" sells better than "old" or "used"!!!

Wise(b)ass

Warhawk likes this.
  4. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    Some of those Fullerton Jazzes are spectacular. I played one in a shop a few years back that was among the best basses I’ve ever heard

5. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    But 1993 was just a couple years ago, right?

Warhawk likes this.
  6. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Why would something being a remake have anything to do with its age?

7. $0.02.....

"Vintage" seems an appropriate descriptor for a bass that's 30+ years old, and no longer in production.

"Vintage reissue". It may seem counter-intuitive but time marches on, this is where we are now.

Warhawk and MobileHolmes like this.
  8. BassholeKI

BassholeKI

Feb 10, 2017
    Technically, everything made is vintage.

The term originally comes from the wine industry (vin prefix denotes wine, vino, vineyard, vintner) to refer to a particular year or season. Spectacular ones were referred to as simply vintage, which took on a connotation of quality and age.

A guitar friend of mine referred to my late 80's Peavey solid state amps as vintage. I knew what he meant, but to me (and probably many others) vintage should refer to the golden age of musical instruments. That is to say tweed, black and silverface Fenders, pre CBS Fenders, original 50's and 60's Gibsons, Epiphones (a little earlier there), Ampegs, Dan Armstrongs and the like.

Sort of like my 84 year old father, who is indeed a vintage 1934 model. He bristles when people talk about classic cars (meaning 50's and 60's usually), since to him classics are AACA eligible (20's, 30's and a few 40's).

9. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    It's because Fender's official name for them is "Vintage Series", not "reissue"!!!!!!

It's not that hard to use accurate nomenclature. It's walnut, not mocha (unless it's an International Series limited color), it's Vintage Series, not Reissue (unless it's very short-lived MIJ Reissue Series that were the then-current MIJ Standards with tinted finishes to look like old stuf, but retained the bar-magnet PUPs, crappy hacks, pots, and switches), etc.

10. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Washburn basses 1978-1985 are considered vintage FOR WASHBURN. Simply because Washburn started their electric guitars and basses in 1978 and ended a certain stylistic mode when Matsumoku went kaput in 1985 and Washburn moved on from there with pointy, shark-fin, etc headstocks. It does not mean if someone starts a product in 2009, and we can now in 2017 say a 2009 model is "vintage. You DO have to give it at least 30 years or so before most people will agree with the connotation that the word "vintage" has (as far as our basses are concerned).
    Think about this---is a postage stamp from 1901 or 1858 generally talked about with the term "vintage"? No it is not. Can you find an very occasional seller use the term--yeah, but so what. Its an "old" stamp, it is not even referred to an "antique".
    The word "vintage" is definitely applied discriminatorily only towards certain things. I ate a two-year old freeze-dried apple once. It was not vintage nor was it tasty.

In the end---who cares, it's a so-many-years-old instrument you like or dislike.

11. I find the "vintage" tag to be way overused. You can't go to a antique show or flea market without seeing that on nearly everything. And a "vintage" AVRI Fender just makes me want to run through fields of flowers in the buff when it's -20F out. LOL (No, I wouldn't want to see that either.)
    The thing is that everything has a "vintage" whether it's a bottlecap made today or one from 1930.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  12. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I'm a vintage 1956 caucasian. I'm sitting here in my vintage 2004 house eating a vintage 2018 Wendy's salad.

13. Rumbledore

Rumbledore Banned SUSPENDED

Jun 2, 2018
    peninsula
    the correct term formerly known as "vintage bass", is now "original bass" - says a Southern California Fender dealer who's shop has been open since the 70's in my area. This leaves room for a 1980 to be the new vintage aka original

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  14. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    25 years seems to be the criteria, which has always kinda loosely followed the vintage automobile hobby. So, fairly or not, silly or not, a 1993 bass can (and sometimes is) listed as vintage. Weird, ain't it?

15. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    The way that the industry uses the term "vintage" is for marketing only and is incorrectly used as an adjective. When applied to just about anything else, the term is used as a noun and is related to a specific year or period of time.

Strangely enough, Fender kind of got it right with the AVRI series. For example, my P-Bass is an "American Vintage 1963 Reissue", which is technically grammar-correct. But calling an old bass "vintage", just because it is from year X or at least Y years old, doesn't really make sense. By those criteria, we should probably be using the term "historic" or "antique", like license plates on old cars. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  16. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Yes it's Vintage! 80's Vintage. ie; circa '80's etc....

Vintage is a word that needs to be followed by the year of vintage IMO.