1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Vintage Recordings.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Maleikbassist, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Maleikbassist

Maleikbassist

Mar 8, 2013
    So I was digging in my dad's old vinyl stash and happened to come across several old school goodies such as Weather Report's Black Market, a couple of George Duke's, some Return to Forever, and some Frank Zappa stuff as well. Recently my dad perked my interests with a little bit of Stanley Clarke, so I giddied with a little bit of joy when I found these two friends. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1364962536.906691.

Some of the other albums I salvaged from the box include ELP's Tarkus and "Welcome Back" live album as well as Frampton Comes Alive(which i luckily had autographed back in '09). Is there anyone else that is a younger generation musician that takes interests in collecting these LP's, or some older gentlemen that keep their original collections with pride! Feel free to share :)

2. Over the years I've collected allot of records. my jam room in my house has every one if the led zeppelin albums in nice frames. I have bunches of others I got one way or another (mostly for free) - several grateful dead, Hendrix, pink Floyd, black sabbath. I like collecting them, unfortunately I almost never listen to them...

3. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    I'm old school, and I like 50's jazz. There simply are no better recordings than what Rudy Van Gelder did for Blue Note then. Just about every Blue Note record from that era is a gem, in terms of both music and technical recording (given the severe limitations of the day)

4. Maleikbassist

Maleikbassist

Mar 8, 2013
    Same here, usually I just raid my dad's stash and find something new every once and a while. Kudos on the Floyd, which ones do you have? And here as well, I posses no record player nor do I think any of these are in a playable condition

5. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I had all those records bought new back in the day when I was a teen. Sadly, I only have a handful left---got rid of tons of vinyl back in the late 80's. I do still have my original copies of Close to the Edge, Fragile, Exile on Main Street, Dark Side of the Moon, and some other classics, all in good condition. Glad I had the foresight to at least hang onto those!
    I have a turntable in my studio, and gobs of oddball vinyl I bought when I was more into sampling in the 90's, but it's not stuff I would just listen to much just for pleasure. If I buy vinyl now, it's usually old jazz--recently got a pristine copy of The Mastersounds "The King and I"--sounds so good....

6. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I still have my large vinyl record collection (over 5,000 albums) and the memories attached to them. I have the first 45 and LP records I ever bought. I am willing to sell some records and I have many that will never be released digitally. I always enjoyed reading the liner notes and lyrics and looking at the pictures and artwork(especially the open gatefolds) while listening to the records.

7. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Folks who never bought (or buy) vinyl really miss out on this. man for me, growing up, the artwork, photos, and liner notes were things we'd obsess over. And when an artist would include some nifty booklet or other extras--so cool.
    Things got worse with CDs, but at least you could fit SOME stuff in there. And with digital, well, I have to admit, even when I buy an album that has a digital booklet included, I often forget to even look at it!

8. Maleikbassist

Maleikbassist

Mar 8, 2013
    I absolutely love buying albums in hard copy. There's so much cool stuff to be found. Especially in the twelve inch vinyls packaging

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    The last turntable I owned was over 25 years ago, I have vinyl that I haven't heard since then. I've had friends burn a couple of things to CD, like the Jim Hall/Red Mitchell LIVE AT SWEET BASIL record, so I can listen to them. Like pbaas2, I bought all of those records you mention new, when they were released. When I got back from a boat gig in '79, I went to a local record store and told the manager I was gonna drop a bunch of cash on sides if he would offer me a discount, I think I bought every ECM record they had (along with a bunch of other stuff, Prestige, Fantasy).

10. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Dude, I **** you not--I'm sitting here looking at that vinyl right now as we speak--the double album. It has the booklet inside, with notes, discography, and....sheet music for a couple of the solos! Seriously, how cool is that?

11. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Yeah, Artist House was a great label.

12. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    For best sound, there is vinyl and then vinyl and after that vinyl.

13. Maleikbassist

Maleikbassist

Mar 8, 2013
    Too bad I haven't had much time to listen to vinyls :/