Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vintage Rickenbacker price

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jenderfazz, Nov 11, 2004.

1. There's a 1972 Burgundyglo 4001 at a local music store going for 975$ CDN, approximately 750$ American. It's all original except the bridge (a Badass II), and the owner said he night be able to get me an original bridge (or even a reissue, not a big deal to me anyways). Very good condition, nice tone, strung with some sweet flats. Good price, or no?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thats a good price to me.

3. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    From what I've seen, that is about $100 US below the going rate of an all original 70's 4001, so it sounds like a good deal to me. You can get Ric bridges on Ebay for uner $50 fairly often too if you ever wanted to put one on. I say go for it.

4. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    That is actually ALOT lower than the going rate...

BUY IT!!!!!!!!

5. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    check the serial number to verify the year. The two letters on the jackplate(where you plug in) will tell you what year. THe 72 should start with the letter 'L'....If not, count up from there on the alphabet and You can guesstimate. THe letter 'Z' is 86....Hope this helps.

6. Sounds like a good deal.

7. Damn...good deal.

And if your looking for a Ric bridge..there are plenty of places online to buy them.

8. Just out of curiosity, do old Rickenbackers maintain or increase their value over time? I don't expect it to be like a vintage Fender or something, but what about a good condition all original early 70s Ric like that one? Although if I do buy it, chances are I won't let it go. Ever.

9. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    It will likely hold it's value or increase comfortably. You didn't mention it but if the '72 has checkerboard binding and it is in good shape (with the change to original tailpiece) you could probably triple your money pretty quick. Even without the checkerboard binding the early '70's Rics usually do pretty well so I can't really see that you'd lose money unless there is hidden damage.

10. It should keep a decent value...as long as it doesnt get in any worse condition that it may already may be in it wont go down.

The big kicker in this case though is the fact that the original bridge is missing..alot of people can get hung up on stuff like that and people will automatically bring it to attention when discussing price if you are trying to sell it (especially to someone who knows Rics)