Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vintage Rickenbacker question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blown240, Feb 22, 2006.

1. blown240

blown240

Dec 10, 2004
    I am looking at this bass to buy, but I dont know alot about them.

Its a Rickenbacker and the serial number is PG 4916. From what I can find its was made in July of 76. Its blonde and looks like its been taken care of. The neck is perfectly straight and it looks like its just missing the cover over the one pickup.

The asking price is $1000.

Thoughts/Comments? Does anyone know much about these?

Thanks!

2. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    You must, in my opinion, play many basses, and the right one will become aparent. If you are buying cause it's old or the price you may be missing the most important things, does feel good and does it sound the way you need it to to express your musicality. Everything else doesn't matter unless your are a collector not a player. IMO

3. blown240

blown240

Dec 10, 2004
    It plays beautifully, The only bass I have played that was better was an olt Tellecaster style bass.

4. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I would strongly recommend that you have the owner remove the RICKENBACKER truss rod cover to see what condition the truss rods are in.

If the bass has had the neck adjusted improperly then the end of the rods will be bent (usually downward). If there is no bending and they are straight then that's what you want.

Many people think they can adjust the neck of a 4001 just like you adjust a modern day bass. But you can't. With a 4001 the nut on the end of the rod (under the truss rod cover) must first be loosened, then the neck must be manually positioned. Once correctly positioned, the nut on the end of the rods must be tightened to lock the rods in position.

If the rods are perfect and the bass is original and in good condition a $1000.00 is a good price for a 76. But if the rods have been bent then the bass is worth half that amount.
    And don't worry about the cover missing from over the bridge pickup. Most people take them off. You can always get one from either Rickenbacker directly of off Ebay.

Good luck.

TD

5. Go for it. I just purchased a 73' 4001, great condition except for the worthless case, for $1,100. same color too :cool:

6. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Definitely check the truss rod. I had a '81 4003 that would develop a buzz sometimes. I took it in to a shop, and they said one of the truss rods was broken. I guess the other one was in good shape, cause the neck was still straight. I would have to lightly drop it on its bottom (upright) to get it to stop for awhile. I sold it, but now I have a new one that I LOVE!

7. blown240

blown240

Dec 10, 2004
    Good to know, thanks for the replies!

8. Rickenbacker 4001 Bass-
    1976-1977 All colors, $1,200 to $1,500
    low to high, mint condition.:cool:

p.s. 1973, $1,800- $1,900

9. 1973ric4001

1973ric4001

Apr 27, 2005
    I bought my rick on ebay, i took a risk but it was soo damn worth it. 1973 rick 4001 maroon, for only 850. I bought it from this guy(most deffenetly not a musician, he called the frets screws lol) who got it as a stage dressing for some movie. No idea, but the main person played it in the movie. everythings great, the truss rod is completely virgin from the looks of it, but the only set back is, theres a badass II bridge. Another note is that its previous owner (playing owner that is) loved to bend the 16th fret on the g string way to much and ground it down a bit from playing. I can barely get the note out of it w/o buzzing and possible tonal shift up to the 17th frret sound. Im not interested in selling it but what would u say the worth of it is.
    p.s. any idea what movie my baby was in?