Vintage SB2 Neck

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by MikeyBass614, Jul 7, 2008.

1. MikeyBass614

MikeyBass614

Jul 7, 2008
    Arizona
    Hello all, I own a 1983 model SB2 with the 2 MFD Jazz style single coil pick ups. I REALLY love this bass. Lately I have been having to adjust the truss rod 2 - 3 times a week to keep the strings from buzzing at the bottom of the neck. Three different guitar techs have told me the neck is 'twisted' and cannot be repaired except to try a heat press procedure that may or may not work. I contacted G&L and they want $450.00 for the neck, $150.00 for labor and I pay shipping both ways. That's around $700.00. That's too much for my current budget. I could buy an 80's model SB2 on Ebay for the same price or less. So finally my question is: do any of you G&L bass lovers out there know of any other source for a neck that will have the correct specs (I don't want to have to 'modify' a neck to fit) to fit my bass? I believe my SB2 uses a #8 neck. Thanks for your help, Mikey

2. A #8 neck from '83 will be a bit different from a modern #8. Neck interchangeability, even between two 1983 basses, is hit or miss because of the hand made nature of the bass, and a modern neck will NOT be a simple bolt-on affair.

My recommendation would be to contact Michael Dolan of Dolan Custom Guitars and get a quote. The man is sharp, honest, and has a great reputation in the lutherie and bass communities.

Ken...

3. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    concur

4. MikeyBass614

MikeyBass614

Jul 7, 2008
    Arizona
    Thanks for the advice Ken & Chef. I was hoping to keep the bass a genuine G&L but it looks like cost is going to dictate that I look for an aftermarket neck of some kind. I'll contact the custom guitar builder you recommended. Thanks again, Mikey

5. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Mr Dolan may well be able to fix your neck.
    I know of a couple of this exact instance where he's been successful.

6. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I have an '81 L-2000 E which had neck issues. The heat press option was about a 90% cure and much cheaper than replacement options.

7. Heat it or at least try....Cheapest option and I am sure it won't be any worse.
    My local tech says they get pretty good results from doing this.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021