Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vintage Selmer amp with active basses?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bornaginbassist, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Any advice would be welcome please. I have a 1960s Selmer Treble & Bass 50 Valve (Tube) amp head. It has two speaker outputs, 1 @ 7.5 ohm and 1 @ 15 ohms. At the present time I only use it in the house as a practice amp driving an 8 ohm cabinet at very low volumes which works fine. I am wondering about taking it out on gigs just as a back-up in case my main amp should fail but am not sure what problems there may be. I have in mind that I would drive my 2 x 8 ohm cabs connected through ‘in series’ box to the 15 ohm output. My main basses are both active, a Gibson LP 5 string and a Bolin NS fretless 5 that has an 18v system. Can anyone please advise/comment on what problems if any I might encounter or even whether it is a good idea at all?

2. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    It is a very old school and much sought after amp by guitarists. You could probably sell it for a very good price if you are not in love with the vintage thing and replace it with a modern set-up.

However, to answer your question, why not try it out on a gig? So long as as you match the impedances, you should be in great shape depending on the type of music you are playing. I used a 50 watt Marshall and 1x15" for years doing country gigs(!!) round Bournemouth and had lots of volume to spare.

Flog it over here for even more $$$! I miss those roundabouts in MK!!

3. I’ve owned the thing since 1966 so probably won’t sell it now but thought maybe it would save me buying another amp for reserve back-up. As it was brought into this world long before the active bass was thought of I’m a bit concerned that the signal from actives at higher volume might harm something and hope someone might be able to advise me before I risk testing it to possible destruction.

As for those roundabouts, all they do is knacker your front left tyre! It’s folk-rock BTW. Cheers.