Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vintage Small Stone.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by coffee-sipper, Aug 27, 2004.

1. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    Hi,
    I have a "vintage" small stone (the old silver one with orange letters). I need to replace the pot and noticed the adapter power isn't connected - there is also some sloppy soldering which isn't a surprise on an EHX. I need either a picture of a perfectly working Small Stone circuit board or even a schematic. Any help certainly appreciated!

PS I really like the phaser on bass though there is some noise with it. Is the reissue noisey?

2. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I enjoy the russian small stone on bass 200 fold more... And there is little to no noise...

Alex

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I too have one of those OLD OLD small stones, and I replaced the pot too. Couldn't find an exact match so I got a mini-pot, attached it with wires, and crossed my fingers. I had to fix a lot of solder joints and removed the color switch because it was broken. Now I leave it in a very subtle position just to give me "mwah"

I couldn't find any old Small Stone schematics out there either. If you'd like, PM me and I'll take a look at it for you.

4. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    Would you be willing to shoot me some photos of the PCB on that small stone? I think someone took a soldering iron to it and was messy with the solder. Also what value pot did you use?

5. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    [​IMG]
    eBay to the rescue. Strangely this is exactly what mine looks like inside. The phasing is certainly all there but feels like the pot isn't working exactly like it should (sweeping isn't smooth).

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    1M Linear Taper. Mouser # 313-1200-1M

7. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    Tplyons-

Is your vintage stone quite? I am probably going to auction it off (eBay) for a new stone. I don't like the lack of indicator light but I bought it non functional (battery wire) and got it running. I bought a small clone cheap this way.

Do you build your loopers? I'd like to put together a looper to isolate the big muff from my signal.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Buying dead effects is a great way to get cool stuff cheap. I've made lots of money doing this, quick repairs and back on the bay. Mine's almost silent, I can hardly tell it's on.

This forum is non commercial. PM me for more info.

9. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    I'll PM you ASAP.

Thanks

One more question that others may benefit from.

Have you tried a reissue Small Stone? How does it compare to the vintage version? The vintage is a lot quiter (hiss) now that I've fixed it up but the effect isn't that strong (when on) as other phasers I've tried.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I haven't had a chance to get a try with a Reissue. I'm constantly keeping my eyes open for a good deal to A/B the two (considering mine is quite the bastard pedal put together with anything that fits)