1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

vintage solid state blues

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thedevilisbad, Jan 10, 2012.

1. thedevilisbad

thedevilisbad

Dec 14, 2010
    Jackson, MI
    Hey folks!

I recently bought an HH Bass Machine locally for $100. It's a pretty cool amp and one hundred bones for "Two Hundred and Fifty Watts" isn't too bad. I didn't notice problems though. The effect (phaser!) doesn't work and the 1st channel with the compressor is sketchy. I took that amp apart and found what appears to be a burnt spot on one of the control boards. I think it had been badly modded before and this is why the phaser doesn't work. No biggie, it's not the 80s anymore. As for the channel with the compressor, could old worn out pots have something to do with that not working properly? Should I even spend any of my time and money trying to fix this up or should I just be happy with the one working channel?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. thedevilisbad

thedevilisbad

Dec 14, 2010
    Jackson, MI
    bumping for the sake of this sad sad amp in need of repair...

3. He.

Be happy with the one working channel.

As long as it works that is ;).

Not a fan of HH/3rd Gen/whatever it was after (or before) that, here.

Regards
    Sam

PS. It's probably NOT modded, just repaired in vain ;).

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Can't really see the burnst spot clearly.

The chips are in sockets. When push down on them I bet you can hear a "crunch"
    Sockets were never a good idea.

You might try gently prying the chips up a just a bit, spraying on some de-ox contact cleaner, then seating them back down. "crunch"
    Not all the way out, just a little up. Wedge a plastic screwdriver like thing in the end to pry it up.

Spray the pots also.
    worth a try.

I bet every chip there is still available. Google for a schematic maybe.

5. thedevilisbad

thedevilisbad

Dec 14, 2010
    Jackson, MI
    I'll try for a better photo with a real camera. I think the burnt part is actually one of the green capacitors (or whatever those are) in the middle part towards the top of the 1st photo.

I'll grab some contact cleaner!