Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Vintage sounding P pickup..which one?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dave120, Jul 4, 2005.

1. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Hi guys,

I'm about to purchase a new SX P bass that I want to turn into a "vintage machine" and make it sound as much like a classic rock bass as possible. I figure the woods are already good being Alder. I know I want flatwound strings on it, probably Fender ones. I'm unsure as to what pickups would be best suited to it.

I've been a fan of Seymour Duncan pickups for a while and have a Hot P bass pickup in one of my Washburns and I love what it added to that bass. Is the SPB-1 "Vintage" one a good choice to look at? Or are there other models/brands that would fit the bill better? I'm looking for Beatles-era classic "thump" rock sound. I'm going to first wait till it gets here and see how it sounds with some good flats on it first, and then upgrade the pickup later if needed, but I'm starting my research now.

Thanks for any help!

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I like the Fender Original 62 pickup. Vintage, gutsy, and wonderful sounding, but really shines with a tube amp (or two!).

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    How vintage do you want to sound? For a good '60's sound the Original 62 is nice, for a '70's the Dimarzio Model P is my weapon of choice.

4. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Well I want it to be fairly 50's and 60's sounding...For an exact tone I'd say the way the bass sounds in "That Thing You Do!" is pretty good.

Basically anything I can throw some flats on and jam to Beatles music and stuff with, to get some versatility since my other bases are geared more towards modern stuff and don't sound good for that kind of music.

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I'm sure the Fender Original '62 pickup is great, but so is the Lindy Fralin, which Lakland uses in its Bob Glaub models. I've played a Glaub, and it captures a classic P tone. Others have raved about Nordstrands. Seymour Duncan claims its SPB-1 produces a vintage P tone, so if you like your Hot for P-Bass, that's probably worth a try. It will have less output and mids, and more treble.

If you can find one, an old MIJ Fender pickup might fit the bill. I've seen them used for about $20, and I have one in a '94 MIJ Foto Flame that NAILS a vintage P tone. If price matters and you can find one, give it a shot.

I like the DiMarzio Model P, but view it as more of a hard/punk rock pickup, not vintage. But this depends on your definition of "vintage," because many players have used these since their introduction in 1977. If by "vintage" you mean that warm, fat '60's sound, though, you don't want the DiMarzio.

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I haven't tried the SD SPB-1, but I can say the the Nordstrand is the best vintage+ P pickup I've heard.

7. I also use and love the Original 62. With flatwound strings, it absolutely nails the 60's vintage tone.