1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Vintage" sounding roundwounds...?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mikkejohansson, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Maybe a bit of a contradiction in the title...? Anyway.

I have a pre-CBS P ('64, early refin) with ten-year old GHS flats on it. The strings and the bass make a totally wonderful match with all the old school thump I could ever need.

But.

I can't help but want to try the bass with a set of nice rounds (I've had it for about a year). What would be a good set to check out for a big, warm rounds sound - on the "vintage" side?

I use Rotosounds on my jazz bass (with Model J:s) and I get a great rock tone, but a bit more modern sounding. Looking for something a bit warmer.

Thinking maybe Sunbeams?

carsbybigd likes this.
  2. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Sunbeams might do what you want after they're well used.
    The one time I tried Boomers I thought they sounded, out of the package, like well worn strings.

3. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Sunbeams are right where I would go...

carsbybigd likes this.
  4. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    GHS Pressurewounds for warmth and a vintage vibe.

onda'bass and DavC like this.
  5. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O))))

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I mean, I don't know how you could want a more vintage sounding roundwound string than Swing 66s. They're the first major roundwounds on the market (though Danelectro had some out earlier that shipped stock on their basses), mid-60s introduction. If you want a little mellower than the stainless steel one, you can grab a nickel set. And I think part of why you're saying they might sound too modern is more to do with the model J pups than the strings. I think pickups have far more influence on the "modern" or "vintage" sound than the string themselves do.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  6. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Pair? I like all four the same age.

Boomers and Sunbeams sound very different. Boomers do tend to sound like worn-in strings already. To my ear the Sunbeams sounded warm because they were mostly mids, not much treble compared to steel DRs. They never had nearly the thump that Boomers have, and I have had both on identical basses.

D.M.N. likes this.
  7. Blueinred

Blueinred

Mar 12, 2009
    Greater Cincy
    I recently restrung with MJC Ironworks stainless mediums and they are slightly warmer, dare I say "darker" than the DR Marcus millers I had on before them. They've held their tone nicely for about three months and I've grown to like them. They do have a vintage sound. You can order direct from their website and I think Sam Ash carries them. Mike was with Dean Markley for 30 years or so before starting his own company,

MJC Ironworks | About

8. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    As a flat wound player who keeps one bass with nickel rounds (just in case), I like Alleva-Coppolo nickel rounds.

The only bummer is a shorter (36") string length - so they fit all of his basses ... and then some others (the silk wrap JUST makes it past the nut on this parts bass I have them on).

Besides them -- yeah, Pressure rounds might do the trick,

9. Levin

Levin

Oct 30, 2012
    Sweden
    LaBella Deep talkin' rounds, especially after broken in is the most vintage sounding round-wound I've heard, to my ears.
    Any high quality nickel string that you like the feel of when broken in and being played on a lot.

10. Pier_

Pier_

Dec 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    Boomers al the way :D

here's how they sound "slightly used" on a Precision:

IMHO they are the best for the worn vintage vibe with the roundwound bite.

11. LanEvo

LanEvo

Mar 10, 2008
    Manhattan
    GHS Bass Boomers will do exactly what you want. Huge lows, deep low-mids, and soft highs.

The new GHS Round-Core Boomers are also a good choice. Less bass-heavy; more upper-mid content. Would be great on a Precision Bass

12. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    GHS Boomers lose their brightness pretty fast. I like them for that reason. Gets a nice, warm sound while retaining the round wound character after a few weeks or less, depending on how much you play them.

13. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I was going to say DR Sunbeams too.

carsbybigd likes this.
  14. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    +1 ... i always try different strings ( vintage rounds types ) and Always come back to GHS Pressurewounds ..

easy on the fingers and frets ... middle of the road kinda sound ... not toooooo bright

onda'bass likes this.
  15. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    Been a fan of half dead Dunlops

Beef of the Sea likes this.
  16. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Maybe some nickel rounds wounds would suit you

17. DonBorelli

DonBorelli

Feb 1, 2009
    Another vote GHS Bass Boomers. I love those strings, since I also gravitate towards warm and dark rounds.

18. +1 on the nickel Roto sounds . DR Sunbeams are good as well

19. ThePresident777

ThePresident777

Oct 6, 2013
    Sounds like someone needs a second P-bass. One for flats. One for the rounds.

20. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    TI Power Bass Rounds