1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Vintage Starfire -- feedback issues, anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jbiscuti, Oct 19, 2013.

1. jbiscuti

jbiscuti

Dec 22, 2007
    NYC / LA
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    I played a fantastic '67 Starfire I locally today (single neck pickup) and I am completely smitten. I'm preeeetty sure I'm going to buy it and play the snot out of it live.

One question - are there feedback issues associated with these? I know this is to be expected to some degree with any hollowbody, but for those of you who play these live, is it ever an issue?

Thanks!

2. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I had a '67 Starfire II not my cuppa so I sold it. Hollow bodies can be unwieldy but they an also have nice sustain due to the feed back opposed to sustain via distortion. Your volume level and location onstage will have a lot to due with the amount of feedback you get. In general if oyu keep our body between the amp and the bass you'll be ok.

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Had a Starfire from 1967-1974. Pickup near bridge. Never found feedback to be a problem, even with a 4x15 rig.

4. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I've owned my '66 Guild Starfire since, well .... 1966. I don't recall one incident of feedback.

5. jbiscuti

jbiscuti

Dec 22, 2007
    NYC / LA
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    Thanks guys!

I pulled the trigger. Here's hoping!